Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Im sure they will ask and hopefully they get the help they need before they do any damage.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

It is NOT a good idea to drag a hydrostatic mower even a few feet even with the levers forward. If you cant push it, don't move it. It is also a bad idea to move the levers around without the engine running. Learning where the bypass valves are and using them is always best.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericlpearl View Post
It is NOT a good idea to drag a hydrostatic mower even a few feet even with the levers forward. If you cant push it, don't move it. It is also a bad idea to move the levers around without the engine running. Learning where the bypass valves are and using them is always best.
That's something you gotta train your guys to do. The not moving levers thing is news to me and I've worked on hydro systems for 30 years. If its not running all your doing is working a valve back and forth that is still lubricated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, let me clarify on my last statement. Occasionally moving the levers is not a problem. What can cause a problem is when guys get on it and start playing with them. When they are moved back and forth it is working the pistons up and down, pumping a small amount of oil that has no where to go. Its supposedly bad for seals, just something an old fogey told me.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

It's hard to find good help but when you find someone that's worth keeping pay them a little bit more keep them and they will take better care of your equipment and they'll be happy so just take care of your guys that are taking care of you that's what it all boils down to
Old 08-26-2014, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

First of all the hourly help doesn't get to ride the owner's big heavy commercial machine.
I start them out on handhelds and they stay on those and 21" until they're proficient, which can turn into 2-4 years.
After that they can try their hand on a 48" Belt-driven Walk Behind IF they've been good.
It takes more time after that, several more years.

Preferably a hired helper has 4 to 6 thousand mows under their belt before they get to sit down on a big bad Zero Turn Riding Mower.
The Ztr is neither a right nor is it an everyday tool, around my necks a ZTR is the Cadillac of lawn machines and not just anybody rides them.

But you're right, it probably does save me thousands.

Last edited by herler; 08-26-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some of you guys would be a real treat to work for. Next you're starting a "I can't keep/find good help" thread. What? I give them one trimmer line reload per day! What more could an employee want?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Ohhh, I forgot the most important part!!! It was sent back to me for warranty!!! LOL I took pics and sent them to him. He asked isn't that covered under warranty?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Some of you guys would be a real treat to work for. Next you're starting a "I can't keep/find good help" thread. What? I give them one trimmer line reload per day! What more could an employee want?
Posted via Mobile Device
It's really nothing compared to driving slaves for a living, but to each their own.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Bump it up so u can see it