Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Long Summer...

So I've had two customers tell me it's going to be a short summer. Another two customers ask me if I'm about ready to wind up the season. Seems like people being cheap, ready to quit paying for their lawn to be serviced. I had to tell one last week um, what do you mean is the season wrapping up. Do you see your lawn growing thick and green, not to mention 3 inches per week? Are you serious?

Now to me, it honestly looks like it might be a LONG cutting season. Only mother nature knows, BUT....

- We had a long winter, late spring.

- We had no Texas June and July 100's like we have EVERY SINGLE YEAR in Texas.

- Now it's about 30-days from when it should be cooling off and we're calling for 100-102+ every day for the next five days with a 68% humidity.

So being we had a late winter, a late summer, it seems like we're going to have a late fall. Now the question is how an I going to explain to the cheap skates, um, don't you see the grass still growing?

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Have to love the weather, after 6+ inches of rain and 60 deg weather we are having Spring number 2 here. I have a feeling I'll be cutting like its April again, thankfully I don't have anyone who is trying to be cheap, but I'm with you, this fall could go any direction and it wouldn't surprise me, but I doubt it will come much earlier than normal.
Exmark Viking 36"
Echo SRM-230, PAS-266, PB-770T
Old 08-16-2014, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heck, I'm happy when my yard is still green as the golf coarse in November. If I'm sill cutting in November I suspect some pissy grouchy customers. By that time I'll have probably done dropped them anyway. I'm trying to weed out them by the end of the year to make room for hopefully a set of "good" customers. I'm marketing all estate homes and also acre lots next year.

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 08-16-2014, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKuhn View Post
Have to love the weather, after 6+ inches of rain and 60 deg weather we are having Spring number 2 here. I have a feeling I'll be cutting like its April again, thankfully I don't have anyone who is trying to be cheap, but I'm with you, this fall could go any direction and it wouldn't surprise me, but I doubt it will come much earlier than normal.
Spring in richmond too. I have a few that could be cut every 5 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2014, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

some want to start late as possible and stop early as possible. i don't ever understand it.

if you can afford lawn mowing april-sept then you can afford it march-oct. it's only 2 more months.

what is it they have the money for every month for 6 months but they don't have the same money every month for 12 months out of the year?

they aren't in the mowing business.

if they were i could understand but they aren't or they would mow their own lawn.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
some want to start late as possible and stop early as possible. i don't ever understand it.

if you can afford lawn mowing april-sept then you can afford it march-oct. it's only 2 more months.

what is it they have the money for every month for 6 months but they don't have the same money every month for 12 months out of the year?

they aren't in the mowing business.

if they were i could understand but they aren't or they would mow their own lawn.

They shouldn't have to understand. It should be common sense. I mean you do have to take an eye test to drive that pretty bmw down the road. That means that you can see that your grass is still green and growing! I jumped into business way too fast trying to pick up customers was my error I think. I picked up the bad customers for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I got quite a few good ones, and high paying ones. But I also picked up a bunch of goof balls trying to rush and taking every job. Next year half of them are getting canned and I'm going to 1.) The estates and 2.) the Acre plus lawns.

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 08-16-2014, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im hoping Sept. and Oct. are decient months, its been a little bit down this year.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
They shouldn't have to understand. It should be common sense. I mean you do have to take an eye test to drive that pretty bmw down the road. That means that you can see that your grass is still green and growing! I jumped into business way too fast trying to pick up customers was my error I think. I picked up the bad customers for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I got quite a few good ones, and high paying ones. But I also picked up a bunch of goof balls trying to rush and taking every job. Next year half of them are getting canned and I'm going to 1.) The estates and 2.) the Acre plus lawns.
Don't count your chicks till they hatch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2014, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those types of clients annoy me almost as much as wind annoys me. The ones who try to stop service in late September/early October around here are nothing more than penny pinchers. There is no other explanation, because around here the grass never goes dormant until November. Last year I had two who in late September tried to pull the old, "Welp it looks like the grass is just about dormant. I guess we will see you in the spring." The reply I gave was, "if you want to stop service now, you can see a different company in the spring." Their lawn was still growing a good 2 to 3 inches each week and was well irrigated. I simply have no time for non-committal clients any longer.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the highs don't go below 90 this month in louisiana. i'm already making changes for next season. one lady let her neighbor run over her yard with a riding mower because i was 2 days late from rain delay, and she also likes to take 6 months off (oct-march). I'm ready to trim my work load, this is the perfect time.