Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2014, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

or florida but dang i think i would die mowing in that humidity down there. it's bad enough here.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Im hoping Sept. and Oct. are decient months, its been a little bit down this year.
I've got a handful of customers who ----- on the last of September give me the "Bon-voy-og----see you next April!!"

The other handful always say------you're staying until the leaves are all gone, aren't you??
Old 08-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Varies here too. Some want me to end things the first of October and some want the last day to be November the 1st. Last year, much cooler temps hit in September so it was a struggle to keep most going until November . Looks like the same thing will happen this year. A lot depends on how El Nino effects the weather pattern. Looks like El Nino will be weak this time. Nice Summer with no 100's. A bit cooler than normal at night. The Jet stream just kept on dipping south. A lot of days with a North wind kept us in the 80s most of the time. Even had cloudy days in the 60s
Summer just flies by and winter will drag by Oh man, just looked at the 10 day forecast. Upper 90s return. That will stop people from thinking about fall and winter LOL

Last edited by Charles; 08-17-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure some of my customers will do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post
I've got a handful of customers who ----- on the last of September give me the "Bon-voy-og----see you next April!!"

The other handful always say------you're staying until the leaves are all gone, aren't you??
I'm sure some of my customers will quit mowing service early, if I haven't already stopped mowing for them. There was one customer I haven't mowed since July. I called him and his wife, and the next week I called him back again. I've left 3 messages; I'm not calling them back.

Another customer kept putting off her lawn for weeks, and finally said she had the money, so I went by and looked it (I was in the neighborhood) and the front lawn still wasn't even that bad (no irrigation here and you're going to have a pretty brown lawn by August). But, the customer wasn't home, so I called her and scheduled her. She said she would be gone but she would leave me a check. I went by, the check wasn't there, rang the doorbell, and no answer, so I left, and I did not call her back. Funny thing she didn't call me to see why I didn't come by, because she probably thought I would just mow it and she wasn't going to pay me!

If they want to stop service early I don't care, but if I go back there in the Spring and it's high it's going to cost more.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-17-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
I'm sure some of my customers will quit mowing service early, if I haven't already stopped mowing for them. There was one customer I haven't mowed since July. I called him and his wife, and the next week I called him back again. I've left 3 messages; I'm not calling them back.

Another customer kept putting off her lawn for weeks, and finally said she had the money, so I went by and looked it (I was in the neighborhood) and the front lawn still wasn't even that bad (no irrigation here and you're going to have a pretty brown lawn by August). But, the customer wasn't home, so I called her and scheduled her. She said she would be gone but she would leave me a check. I went by, the check wasn't there, rang the doorbell, and no answer, so I left, and I did not call her back. Funny thing she didn't call me to see why I didn't come by, because she probably thought I would just mow it and she wasn't going to pay me!

If they want to stop service early I don't care, but if I go back there in the Spring and it's high it's going to cost more.
Strange strategy ....customer wants it cut you drive over to house and don't mow? Guess you have no trust in people. Just leave a self addressed envelope with bill.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No I did not trust this customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Strange strategy ....customer wants it cut you drive over to house and don't mow? Guess you have no trust in people. Just leave a self addressed envelope with bill.
No I did not trust this particular customer. The lawn should have been bi-weekly in the first place. Sure, things have been pretty dry but I've had problems with this customer from the start, well maybe not the start. The first time I mowed it everything was OK, except the back was kind of overgrown, but I didn't care that much; I thought I would at least get regular lawn service. That's what the customer told me she wanted.

So after 2 weeks I call the customer, leave a voice mail, never get a call back. I wasn't sure what happened, because I was pretty sure customer was happy with work. So a few more weeks go by and then I get a text saying that I never showed up and should she hire somebody else?

Are things starting to sound suspicious yet? Most people would have called the day after you didn't show up (even though I did call). Why did she wait a few weeks? Anyway, I told her I left her a message and didn't get a call back. So then she says that she got a new phone. So maybe she should have called me?

So finally mowed the lawn the second time. Now, I think I originally got this customer in May. Here we are in August and I've only mowed the lawn twice. Customer rescheduled a few times, first saying she had to wait till she got paid, and then calling back later saying she had to wait again because husband lost job.

Possibly I should have ignored her before, but I gave her one more chance; when the check was not there like she said, I had enough; I want people that are actually going to make me money, not people that can't afford a $45 cut.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-17-2014, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ed, ya'll didn't get any of that rain earlier either huh? I've been watching the radar all morning, it was heading right for us, then looked like it just completely broke up before it got to Austin. Looks like the drought is going to continue, it's getting rough. You know it's getting dry when everywhere you have to wear safety glasses to keep the sand and dirt out of the eyes. The dentist office I do, didn't install heads by the building edge, and are paying me extra to irrigate around the foundation. The good man above really needs to bless us with some water, I'm feeling guilty every time I pour the hot water out of the bottom of my water bottle.

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Ed, ya'll didn't get any of that rain earlier either huh? I've been watching the radar all morning, it was heading right for us, then looked like it just completely broke up before it got to Austin. Looks like the drought is going to continue, it's getting rough. You know it's getting dry when everywhere you have to wear safety glasses to keep the sand and dirt out of the eyes. The dentist office I do, didn't install heads by the building edge, and are paying me extra to irrigate around the foundation. The good man above really needs to bless us with some water, I'm feeling guilty every time I pour the hot water out of the bottom of my water bottle.
No luck but this is expected. If we could ever find another crew chief we would expand the irrigation side of our business.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When they say "I'll leave a check out" , it better be there. I totally understand that maneuver. I'd like to think I know most tricks in the book. They don't trick me like they used to.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. View Post

I usually do halfway decient until Christmas, then its completely dead in Janurary. I may go to California this Janurary.