Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2003, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Partnerships

I finally have an opportunity to get in the business as an owner after not being able to after 3 years, for financial reasons, I can now, but the catch is a partner. I have heard many people say that they wouldn't. but, once in a while you do hear of the good stories. Do any of you have good or bad reports about it? Yes it's a family member, but, one that is a good one and trustful. Just curious, it's an opportunity I've always wanted.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just watch yourself. I personally would not do it again, just from experience. Money is a funny thing, even among family members. Also what is considered working to one person, may not be in the other person's book. You may be busting your @ss, and getting paid the same as the other guy who is not even breaking a sweat.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 02-15-2003, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I kinda see what your saying and in a sense I expect that he'll take care of office things plus help out in the field. And I'm no good at paper work so I hope it won't bother me too much. He's very good with money and finances.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you want to share profits with a family member or not???

Why do you want to have another person second-guess your moves???
Old 02-15-2003, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
there are alot of threads here on the suject.I would advise against it.Esp with a family member bad karma
Old 02-17-2003, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

mega ditos
been there done that, glad it did not work out. Think about this. Say you get a job that pays 1000 a month. Ok, you can pay your partner 500 of it or you can pay some employee 8 dollars an hour. It takes alot of hours to get even close to 500 dollars.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Partnerships usually start out okay. But in just a matter of weeks things will go wrong. Now throw in a family member, now there's a recipe for disaster. Try to go out on your own. It might be harder to go solo at first, but it will save you a lot af headaches.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend $16 and buy and read E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. Then make your decision from a very educated pespective.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you get a partner that has the same goals as yourself and is willing to work just like you it will work great. Ours works fine. I would much rather have a good partner than to go through the never ending revolving door of hiring help.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't like the sound of it already: He'll probably do the office thing..........he's great with finances.

In other words...........you'll still be doing the hard stuff and sweatin' bullets to earn enough to keep both of you afloat.

There have been many on this forum that have gone into partnerships (might as well be a marriage) and it didn't work out..........I'm one of those people. Had my ex-partner and I thought alike, spent alike, worked alike, ate alike, slept alike........well.............get the picture? I'll put it like this, if you could be marred to this person then you could be partners, if not then re-think this thing. My partner is my wife, she helps me with several aspects of the business and even that has taken time to smooth out.

I would imagine like most people (myself included) that you will try it anyway..........if and when you do please let us know how it works for you. We're not always right and it might be the best thing you ever did!