Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen a video of a 259D lifting a 4200lb concrete block off of a loading dock, take it to the ground, lift it to the top of its lift height and then place it back on the loading dock. It should have plenty of power.

The 259D also has standard 2spd. It's an extra cost on a T650 and I don't think the T590 has 2spd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
I've seen a video of a 259D lifting a 4200lb concrete block off of a loading dock, take it to the ground, lift it to the top of its lift height and then place it back on the loading dock. It should have plenty of power.

The 259D also has standard 2spd. It's an extra cost on a T650 and I don't think the T590 has 2spd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Correct, the T590 is single speed... Definitely advantage to the Cat.

The 259 does seem like a little beast based on what I have read.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
1'' of clearance ain't gonna work
Yeah, the T650 is pretty much out... Unless it is such a great machine that I would be better to trade in trailer in order to accommodate it. Not sure if I have seen or heard anything which makes that the best choice though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I figure it could but Looking at it just don't look like it
Cat 289D are over 10k + weight of the trailer So that doesn't leave you much room You might be getting real close overloading the axles
The trailer weighs 2500, so that leaves 11,500 for the track loader (assuming the attachments get loaded into the truck)

The 259 looks good though so if I end up with that I am easily in the clear. However, like the T650, if I end up really thinking the 289d is the best, I could always trade trailer in to get a bigger safety net for weight.

Do u think coming close to the weight, but staying under, is dangerous? I assumed axles were rated lower than their actual capacity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Bobcat's cooling system sucks, they heat up the oil so damn fast due to having a tiny hydraulic tank, they need to be able to cool it fast. Cat's hydraulic system is just like an excavator, manifold at the bottom where the loader and drive empties into and it circulates into the tank and the cooler.
One hydraulic break or leaking line and a Bobcat is done, Cat's have massive tanks.
It's still a jungle of hoses and wires under a Bobcat cab, and Cat has everything laid out really nice.
Bobcat cabs have all the buttons and crap all over the sides of the door entry and a stupid windsheild wiper at the bottom, Cat has everything up out of the way.
Bobcat's has WEAK quick attach frames with no SOILD bump stops to help clean out the sticky material in the bucket, and they rely on dead ending the cylinders for that task, Cat has a solid and strong quick attach frames and bump stops built into the loader arms.
Bobcat has grease fittings EVERYWHERE and all different angles, Cat has the fittings inside the pins facing out.
Bobcat uses inferior bushings and pins, I've seen 1 year old units with less than 500 hrs with slop in the main pivots pins, our Cat 289C is tight like a dolphin's ass with 600 hours and minimal greasing.
Bobcat's undercarriage is a royal PITA to clean out wet sticky mud and clay out of, Cat is just a matter of kicking it out with your feet.
Personally, I'd stay with a smaller unit, make more money on the bigger jobs, and when a small job that requires a smaller machine pops up, a bigger unit will be a hindrance.
90% of the work I do with the 289C is perfect, but the tight confined spots I get into, I am cursing, hence the back up camera.
Have you used a dozer blade on a smaller machine? Both dealers say they come with smaller blades so the performance, relative to size, is about the same regardless since they are pushing smaller amounts of dirt they dont get bogged down. Clearly job would take longer if large, I just want to make sure the weight of the blade doesn't hinder the little guys.

I like what you wrote comparing the two, very helpful... Especially the cooling part. I had not thought about fluid capacity and only was stuck on how dirt was being sucked in off the tracks.. I suppose a cooler machine is more important than a dirty engine bay, I can always clean that out!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCat View Post
Have you used a dozer blade on a smaller machine? Both dealers say they come with smaller blades so the performance, relative to size, is about the same regardless since they are pushing smaller amounts of dirt they dont get bogged down. Clearly job would take longer if large, I just want to make sure the weight of the blade doesn't hinder the little guys.

I like what you wrote comparing the two, very helpful... Especially the cooling part. I had not thought about fluid capacity and only was stuck on how dirt was being sucked in off the tracks.. I suppose a cooler machine is more important than a dirty engine bay, I can always clean that out!
Posted via Mobile Device
He hates bobcats.

That being said buy what you want. Ask for demos.

I would buy a bobcat over the cat. But lately been eyeing kubota again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd echo what whiffyspark said regarding demoing the machines on your short list.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be demoing the 289D on Friday afternoon... Cat thinks they can get a 259D there as well for comparison.

I ran a Bobcat 750 for a little bit, so I think that covers the T650. I sat in the T590 but they did not have time to let me run it out back in the dirt.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You'll like the ride quality of the Cat's, very smooth. Don't believe the BS that others say about Cat's suspension not being able to cut a grade, those remarks are spread by people who can't even run a push mower in a straight line.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 08-19-2014, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I take all opinions, good or bad, with the proverbial grain of salt. I know it boils down to me, but the feedback gives me great information to consider, or for things to look at on each machine.