Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Getting back to the dozer blade, don't waste the money, skid steers have too much weight on the back, dozers have the weight on the front. I pushed out 180 tons of 3/4 clear gravel this morning using only the bucket and pushed it 100 feet on a pile, a blade would have taken all day, and I was done in 2 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 08-19-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I own both a t590 and a t650 im happy with both. The t590 is actually quite impressive i think. CAT also makes a good machine. They both have there good and bad points. Just demo both and you will see what works best for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We bought one of the first 259D our dealer got this winter and haven't ha any complaints as of yet, great little powerhouse. Our go to rental was usually a 289 from the same dealer but recently we've been doing numerous large homes with full basements and no walkouts making the 259 the only choice so we can lift it into the foundation to the grade the slab. The only complaint I have is the camera doesn't seem as sharp as it should an I don't trust it like the cameras on our Cat wheel loaders, not the same quality. We also have the extra counterweight on the rear which is helpful and the power quick coupler. I feel like the controls are much more responsive then those of the newer bobcats I ran lately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCat View Post
Hey guys,

I am a first time poster here but have been reading for a few days. Currently I own a hauling company as a part time job and own a dump truck and an equipment trailer. I am a computer software engineer during the week, but can take days off during the week as needed to do jobs.

The hauling part of this business was only being done so I could build work history up so I could get a bank loan for a compact track loader and move into what actually interest me: concrete removal, land clearing/grading, and of course still using a grapple to do debris removal with the dump truck.

That being said, I have a two point question, which is basically the thread title:

Which compact track loader should I get (Cat vs Bobcat) and which size is best (smaller or medium).

I am considering the Cat 259D vs the Bobcat T590 and the Cat289D vs the Bobcat T650.

Machine will be purchased with a breaker, industrial grapple, and a 6 way dozer blade.

I can see pro's and cons to both companies. Cat is well respected for engineering machines and has a great support fleet to fix machines on site. Bobcat has a nice history specifically with skid steers so perhaps are more the "experts" on these machines?

I prefer the cooling system of the Bobcat over the Cat... blowing the hot air out the side seems to be a much better idea than sucking in air from above the tracks (I live in Florida, so lots of dry dusty sand/dirt)

As for the size, I am not sure the extra $10k give or take is worth jumping up to the 289D/T650 from their respective smaller cousins.

Sorry for the rambling, but could some of you provide some real world thoughts on these machines please. The Cats generally cost a bit more than the Bobcat equivalent... is it worth it, or is the Bobcat a better more dependable machine?

Cats come with larger tracks... in Florida sand that seems like a good thing. Bobcats can be upgraded of course to wide tracks which slightly offsets some of the cost difference.

Machines will have cab with AC, deluxe instrumentation, and joystick controls.

Arrrrrghhhhh... so many possible ways to go with this....

One day I wake up favoring going smaller and with the Bobcat T590... and other days I wake up thinking the 289D is the way to go since it is bigger and still is fairly thin (5 inches or so thinner than the T650 so it fits better on my trailer)

Thanks for any feedback.
You better checkout the width of t650 on bobcat.com specifications are listed at 72.9" for width
The T770 is only 78" wide with the wide tracks
Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Getting back to the dozer blade, don't waste the money, skid steers have too much weight on the back, dozers have the weight on the front. I pushed out 180 tons of 3/4 clear gravel this morning using only the bucket and pushed it 100 feet on a pile, a blade would have taken all day, and I was done in 2 hours.
Thanks Ron, that is good to know. Maybe I will refocus on getting a bushhog instead of the dozer blade and use the bucket as you note.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson M Martin View Post
You better checkout the width of t650 on bobcat.com specifications are listed at 72.9" for width
The T770 is only 78" wide with the wide tracks
I believe the T770 comes standard with wide tracks. The T650 has to add 10" if the wide tracks are put on, putting it at 83 inches which leave me less than an inch wiggle room as a result.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsops View Post
I own both a t590 and a t650 im happy with both. The t590 is actually quite impressive i think. CAT also makes a good machine. They both have there good and bad points. Just demo both and you will see what works best for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was impressed with the T590 as well. I demo the Cats Friday so it will be interesting!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004F550 View Post
We bought one of the first 259D our dealer got this winter and haven't ha any complaints as of yet, great little powerhouse. Our go to rental was usually a 289 from the same dealer but recently we've been doing numerous large homes with full basements and no walkouts making the 259 the only choice so we can lift it into the foundation to the grade the slab. The only complaint I have is the camera doesn't seem as sharp as it should an I don't trust it like the cameras on our Cat wheel loaders, not the same quality. We also have the extra counterweight on the rear which is helpful and the power quick coupler. I feel like the controls are much more responsive then those of the newer bobcats I ran lately.
Posted via Mobile Device
You are the perfect person to ask... since you drove both the 289D as a rental and the 259D as noted above, does the 289D have a lot more umph even though they are rated same HP? I know a lot depends on hydraulics, but just curious if you felt a difference in power between the two.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
I've seen a video of a 259D lifting a 4200lb concrete block off of a loading dock, take it to the ground, lift it to the top of its lift height and then place it back on the loading dock. It should have plenty of power.

The 259D also has standard 2spd. It's an extra cost on a T650 and I don't think the T590 has 2spd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well the one I demoed could not operate 45" Dutchman tree spade (3900lbs). It would lift up but the ass would come up and it would curl the tree spade. There may be a reason they started on a lifting dock and not from the ground
Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCat View Post
I was impressed with the T590 as well. I demo the Cats Friday so it will be interesting!
You had better be very aware of how the dealer responds to you after the sale….Either machine would be good , with a good dealer, one that treats you as you would want to be treated…I have had poor results with my Bobcat dealer, but excellent treatment from Kubota…Guess you can figure out where I will be buying my next piece from…..Tony