Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-05-2014, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Request from lawn client

So a good lawn customer with a large sized property asked me to winter over their plants for them. They still want to discuss the details but they just mentioned it.
This is something they do every year in a 3 car garage they dont use much (but do use some, so as the door is opened there will be temperature fluctuations).

There will probably be a dozen hanging baskets, these have lots of vines and are suspended.
20-30 potted plants in misc size planters. Lots of lillys and geraniums, misc.
And maybe 10 large planters with a few decorative palms and Japanese maples. All of these don't survive outside in Alaska. I know in the past they had the house keeper water them, and other people take care of the plants with mixed results. This year most of the plants didnt come back till very late in the season. Many died.

These clients travel lots, and will pretty much need to stop by their property once or twice per week to maintain the plants.

Would you do this? (I know I can make the time for this between plowing and everything else. But I don't think I should offer any guarantees.)
Recommendation on watering? Maybe misting some of the plants like the palms?
Temperature, humidity requirements?
How much to charge for this?
There is something called wildSTOP or wiltpruf at a local supplier. They say it works and helps lock in moisture so plants don't dry out. Has anyone ever used this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Firstly, where will you keep it?

Do you have/need lighting?

I'd say go for it if you can manage it. Similar to growing greenhouse plants for sale so just figure out your costs for floor space, heat, water, time, and feeding.

Good luck
Old 09-05-2014, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenzelOSLLC View Post
Firstly, where will you keep it?

Do you have/need lighting?

I'd say go for it if you can manage it. Similar to growing greenhouse plants for sale so just figure out your costs for floor space, heat, water, time, and feeding.

Good luck
If it's at there house, yeah sounds like free money. Treat it like any other service. Figure out your hourly wage and how long it will take you and go from there. I would tell them there are no guarantees and if they die, they do. You are just the water guy. Leave it simple
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

They would be stored in their garage. I commute there to take care of them.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use lesco moisture manager. Works awesome
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I take care of a few hanging baskets and one Japanese Maple during the winter for one of my clients out here in the valley. I watered every other day on schedule. Wasn't too bad to fit it in with the plowing. Less than a mile from my house so it wasn't too bad to keep up on just tied it in with going to checking the mail. Everything made it through the winter well. The only down side was when I wanted to head to the cabin for a few days. Not sure what will happen with the baskets this year we had two frosts out here already and they were still outside looking rough when I mowed this week.

On a side note we had a fellow LCO's out here in Wasilla get his trailer stolen last night. Rough deal, makes me sick. Lost my kombi and a blower to thieves earlier this spring.

1997 Ford F-250/w Western Wide Out
1995 Dodge Ram 2500/w Western 7'6" Pro Plus
1986 Ford F-250/w Western 2.5 yd Tornado
Fisher Tailgate Sander
2005 Ford F-150
1997 Ford Ranger
Scag Tiger Cub
Husqvarna RZ5424
Husqvarna YTH2148
Husqvarna YTH21K46
Honda HRX217HXA
Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like easy money if they're keeping them at their place. Just don't tell them about the $20 watering systems they sell. Lol
Old 09-05-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldendog View Post
I take care of a few hanging baskets and one Japanese Maple during the winter for one of my clients out here in the valley. I watered every other day on schedule. Wasn't too bad to fit it in with the plowing. Less than a mile from my house so it wasn't too bad to keep up on just tied it in with going to checking the mail. Everything made it through the winter well. The only down side was when I wanted to head to the cabin for a few days. Not sure what will happen with the baskets this year we had two frosts out here already and they were still outside looking rough when I mowed this week.

On a side note we had a fellow LCO's out here in Wasilla get his trailer stolen last night. Rough deal, makes me sick. Lost my kombi and a blower to thieves earlier this spring.
That seems too freequent on wateringñ but depends on plants, pot and soil too.
How did you price this out? I was just going to do a min charge every week.

Thats pretty crappy about the trailer. Who's was it and what did they take? Ill keep an eye out. Pm if need be. Lots of theft in anch
Old 09-06-2014, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Member

The folks are snowbirds. They paid me an extra $700.00 for the plowing to water and to look after the house to make sure heat stayed on, change the filter every month etc. Every other day was probably a bit excessive for the watering but that's what they wanted. Wasn't a real big deal since it was so close to the house and they came home at Xmas for two weeks to spend it with the daughter and grandkids.

It was Lawn Rangers trailer. He sent me a pick of the trailer this a.m. and to keep an eye out for it. Not that many trailers out here running around with trimmer racks on them. Hope they catch them. Crime is starting to get bad out here seems to be a lot more this year.

Fisher Tailgate Sander
2005 Ford F-150
1997 Ford Ranger
Scag Tiger Cub
Husqvarna RZ5424
Husqvarna YTH2148
Husqvarna YTH21K46
Honda HRX217HXA
Old 09-06-2014, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Oh forgot, they took the trailer, safety shields and ear protection out of one of the other trucks. PM me your number and I'll try and forward a pic of the trailer.

Fisher Tailgate Sander
2005 Ford F-150
1997 Ford Ranger
Scag Tiger Cub
Husqvarna RZ5424
Husqvarna YTH2148
Husqvarna YTH21K46
Honda HRX217HXA