Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2014, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
So what ate the issue with the v-ride? I can understand the hills thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hated the controls on the V-ride, they were stiff and the bars felt too thick. They have a dumb OPC system as well, and a neutral lever that seems pointless to me. seemed like a bunch of unnecessary steps to take to get the thing to start, move, or turn blades on. Their deck lift lever was also really short and hard to move on the fly if needbe, not much leverage there. The machine felt pretty light in the front(they do have a weight kit) and I only weigh 150lbs. comparing to the stander X, It also seemed like a very long machine. I get my X in some really tight spaces. V-ride is also a full mph slower.

I did like the deck on the v-ride, but I wasn't on it long enough to cut in all conditions either. with what I was cutting, the dispersal didn't seem to be much different than the aerocore. Most of the time I run my X with the discharge portion of the baffle removed and that helps tremendously with discharge.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Nailed it, exactly right. I own a grandstand and it clumps like crazy in wet conditions and the deck needs scraped fairly often. Also correct about one of the positives of the grandstand of not having all of the opc. I can step off of my grandstand keeping one hand on the sticks pick debris off of a lawn and be back to mowing without missing a beat.The standers with the foot opc are a pita. When I tested out the gravely pro stance their lever control presence was much too sensitive. If I moved my hand even the slightest the blades would cut off. My buddy has a v ride and I got to drive it around. Again another step added just to start mowing with a drive engagement shifter. My grandstand, step on platform and pull in right side lever, hit pto and start mowing. Although the v ride will leave a nicer cut in wet conditions than all of the other standers.

The local deere dealer had a left over stander with the 7 iron deck last year. Never used, he was going to sell it to me for $4800. I sometimes regret not buying it. It was fast and responsive. It was also the easiest to maintain and work on because of the engine placement than other standers.
Posted via Mobile Device
I personally don't care for the hand operated OPC, I like it in the platform. I can step off and leave one foot on the platform and do the same thing, but I can also operate the machine one handed when I need to or use as little pressure as needed to move the controls. heres the steps for starting and mowing with the wright:

to start: set parking brake and turn key
to start mowing: just be standing on platform and pull PTO switch. if I need to step off the machine fully, just stop blades, the switch is located so that you can just hit the switch with your thumb. don't have to have a parking brake set or anything to get off.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This year, I got a new Deere Stander (made by Wright) and have used the old fixed deck standers in the past. The Deere is leaps and bounds ahead of the old style. The deck gives a better cut in most conditions and the machine as a whole is very well set up. It's easy to work on and maintain and it feels very solid and smooth. The deck may not be the absolute best in the industry but it is not a slouch either. I estimate that the new mower will pay for itself in 2 years in decreased labor costs.

Now, if Deere decided to put the 7-Iron on the Stander I would sell this one and get a new mower in a heartbeat. If they did that, we would have the best of everything.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2014 Wright stander with a regular deck. I like it. No problems
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that you probably have the Aero-Core deck. That is the upgraded one that we are talking about. I don't think that they sell the old style anymore.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

aerocore is on everything now. I think when it first came out they only put it on the floating deck models, but it is now on all mowers and has been for a couple years
Old 08-25-2014, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think its the aero core deck since the aero core decks have it printed on them. Deck works good, I always use it with the chute deflector up though, never in place.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
I don't think its the aero core deck since the aero core decks have it printed on them. Deck works good, I always use it with the chute deflector up though, never in place.
http://www.wrightmfg.com/products/aero-core-deck/

if your deck looks like this one you've got an aero core. when I bought my 52'' in 2013 I remember seeing aerocore decks on all the wrights except for rapid height, which they have replaced with the Stander I for 2014.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

In April I owned a 48 vantage and 52 lazer, I demoed a quik trak 48 as a loaner while my Exmarks were serviced. Well by June I was the owner of 2 Quik Trak 52 efi MOD's and have been extremely happy. QOC was better that the vantage with a mulch kit and better than e lazer discharging, essentially 2 mowers in one. I do have go back over some rows to blow some clipping trails out, but really I had to do the same before. The other advantage to the JD/Wrights is the decks actually do float. The Vantage 48 was a scalp master, in fact my crew made a joke that it took more scalps than a Indian war party. The JD are fast, agile, have a solid robust feeling, everything works good and the qoc is very high, surprising this machine's stripes are unbelievable and I mostly cut warm season grass, Bermuda and Zoysia.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippenLC View Post
In April I owned a 48 vantage and 52 lazer, I demoed a quik trak 48 as a loaner while my Exmarks were serviced. Well by June I was the owner of 2 Quik Trak 52 efi MOD's and have been extremely happy. QOC was better that the vantage with a mulch kit and better than e lazer discharging, essentially 2 mowers in one. I do have go back over some rows to blow some clipping trails out, but really I had to do the same before. The other advantage to the JD/Wrights is the decks actually do float. The Vantage 48 was a scalp master, in fact my crew made a joke that it took more scalps than a Indian war party. The JD are fast, agile, have a solid robust feeling, everything works good and the qoc is very high, surprising this machine's stripes are unbelievable and I mostly cut warm season grass, Bermuda and Zoysia.
Your grass has thicker and tougher blades right? It hated tall thin fescue
Posted via Mobile Device