Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
We have a bank that we do that I refuse to let anyone stand in the road to blow. We discharge back into the lawn, but you can't help some clippings. We blow them out as cars drive by to disperse the clippings. Ain't worth someone getting hit
Posted via Mobile Device
We have two properties with with privacy fences about 5' from the road.... you can either 1. aim the discharge into the fence and get splattered OR 2. aim into the road and have a guy blowing the clippings back as you go.

I do realize sometimes you can't get but get some clippings, but when I see guys out there purposely mowing their first swath with the discharge right into the road, sheesh that's stupid. Especially when it's on a US highway and just watch the cars swerve over trying to keep from getting hit. Nothing like having your Audi A8 plastered with gravel and grass as you drive by!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Dr. Cornwallis Dr. Cornwallis is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valrico, Fl
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
We have a bank that we do that I refuse to let anyone stand in the road to blow. We discharge back into the lawn, but you can't help some clippings. We blow them out as cars drive by to disperse the clippings. Ain't worth someone getting hit
Posted via Mobile Device
Same, I do a large residential yard right by an extremely busy two lane road. I never ow the clippings from the street back into the yard; give it twenty min of traffic and it's all gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Armsden&Son Armsden&Son is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: adirondacks, NY
Posts: 1,868
Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!

I cant STAND when noobs drive over my stripes!!!!

Or their own for that matter!

Take the time to lay perfect stripes only to blast across the lawn like a numbnuts!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 PM
xstatikplus xstatikplus is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: toronto ontario
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!

I cant STAND when noobs drive over my stripes!!!!

Or their own for that matter!

Take the time to lay perfect stripes only to blast across the lawn like a numbnuts!!!!
Ahhh the old cutting across a perfectly striped lawn yup got to love that move
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM
xstatikplus xstatikplus is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: toronto ontario
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
I would prefer full throttle on a blower, but, I I think it can "look" careless at times. Blowing stuff in neighbors yards, blowing around cars. It depends on the property. Neighbors close means some more care needs to be taken. A 2 acre property wide open works. I feel the same about trimmers. Full throttle will sling crap everywhere.
As I stated "burping the blower throttle in wide open areas" not in tight spots or in your example of blowing into neighbours yards etc etc. half throttle vs burping the rpm tho. The throttle burping stands out to me most as just about every new guy seems to do it. One I have now does it always plus does it on the line trimmer( would normally wait a while to put someone on a line trimmer but he claimed to be experienced when hired so....and he is getting better at it)

I'm just waiting for the day I see him burping the throttle on a ferris! PMSL!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Kawizx62003 Kawizx62003 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Transition Zone
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
As I stated "burping the blower throttle in wide open areas" not in tight spots or in your example of blowing into neighbours yards etc etc. half throttle vs burping the rpm tho. The throttle burping stands out to me most as just about every new guy seems to do it. One I have now does it always plus does it on the line trimmer( would normally wait a while to put someone on a line trimmer but he claimed to be experienced when hired so....and he is getting better at it)

I'm just waiting for the day I see him burping the throttle on a ferris! PMSL!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry it was 6AM and I didnt get a cup of coffee in yet! Yeah , that would be annoying! I dont have employees but one thing that would drive me nuts is running out of fuel in the middle of a yard. I hate wasted time with a passion. And then I can see someone with a slow walk to the truck to get gas and a slower walk back to the mower and then an even slower walk back to the mower.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-22-2014, 02:29 PM
rbljack rbljack is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
I dont have employees but one thing that would drive me nuts is running out of fuel in the middle of a yard. I hate wasted time with a passion. And then I can see someone with a slow walk to the truck to get gas and a slower walk back to the mower and then an even slower walk back to the mower.
My son did this ONCE and I went over to him and said to him..." I will assume that you made that slow walk to the truck for the fuel because you were ashamed of yourself for not checking the fuel right?" LOL

Now he is into the habit of checking fuel and oil before he starts each day (he helps me out over the summer). One of our mowers s about to die (we bought a used exmark 30 that was definitely used and abused by previous owner, and we are checking oil on it after every yard or two, so that reinforced the importance/need to check everything to avoid the "walk of shame". this particular mower is using oil pretty fast now,
__________________
Equipment:
2000 Chevy 3/4 Ton Long Bed 4x4
6.5x12 Dual Ramp Trailer
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator

Last edited by rbljack; 08-22-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:24 AM
norsky norsky is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
Just thought it would be fun for myself and other vets in this game and informative to the rookies to share typical traits of rookie behaviour when out in the field.

For me the most noticeable and extremely common trait of the rookie is on wide open driveways/patios/ walkways the rookie always tend to feather the backpack blowers throttle instead of having it run wide open. As your rookie works his/her way down the driveway you hear the engine brmmm brmmm brmmm brmmm br br br brmmm. Now don't get me wrong in tight corners burping the throttle will get debris out of that corner without it hitting your face but in wide open areas?

Another one is after 2 months your typical rookie feels they can mow circles around you and not lack in quality compared to your work even tho you daily point out spots they miss and line trim their Mohawks they leave in the lawn because they can't keep a straight line even after 2 months! I PMSL when a rookie challenges me to a compitition and is willing to put some of his/her pay on it.

Any other noticeable traits are welcome and will be enjoyed.
Posted via Mobile Device
they are just like the Harley riders that rev up there engines when starting them or when sitting at a stop sign. annoying
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Armsden&Son Armsden&Son is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: adirondacks, NY
Posts: 1,868
Hahaha^^^^^^

You are very close....

It's because most of these noobs have never held any power in their hands before....

Granted, we are only talking under 50 cc's at the most but let's be honest, 2 stroke engines sound AWESOME!!!!!

So I think they are just kind of playing with the power....

After 20 years the novelty wear off....

Although my Shindy 802 back pack sounds so mean I am admit to being a throttle offender sometimes...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 PM
xstatikplus xstatikplus is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: toronto ontario
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsky View Post
they are just like the Harley riders that rev up there engines when starting them or when sitting at a stop sign. annoying
Hahaha so true I ride a sports bike and ride with quite a few Harley riders out of them I can only think of 2 that don't do the red light throttling
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.07481 seconds with 7 queries