Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2003, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

15 hp kawasaki v-twin

My engine has a carb problem, I think. The engine will start and run fine.....when it has been running a while, it will instantly lose power(feels like about half) the tone of the engine changes, sounds like it is "dieseling" a little, and continues several minutes. Then it makes a dramatic turnaround, engine power returns to full and you are off flying again. It will cycle in and out like this each time lasting several minutes (5-10, maybe)

Any clue what in the wide world of sports is going on, here?
Old 03-27-2003, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

It could be a bad batch of fuel or a dirty fuel filter. Drain the fuel tank and carb bowl then install a new fuel filter put some dry gas in it and refill the gas tank with fresh fuel. If that does nothing then then look into a possible vacum leak or maybe even a timing issue.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: 15 hp kawasaki v-twin

Quote:
Originally posted by lakegastonlawn
My engine has a carb problem, I think. The engine will start and run fine.....when it has been running a while, it will instantly lose power(feels like about half) the tone of the engine changes, sounds like it is "dieseling" a little, and continues several minutes. Then it makes a dramatic turnaround, engine power returns to full and you are off flying again. It will cycle in and out like this each time lasting several minutes (5-10, maybe)

Any clue what in the wide world of sports is going on, here?
Are you sure you're not actually losing a cylinder?. Try taking off one of the plug wires. If there's no change, OR if the motor stops dead, you have a bad coil (the wire that stops the motor is the bad coil). My twin had a bad coil that was temperature sensitive. I'll bet this is your problem.... try it.
Pete