Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Wright Stander Fixed Deck Better Striping?

New to the site so I hope this is the right place for this question. I run a small lawn company (about 40 weekly lawns) and use 2 fixed deck Wright standers. They both seam to not stripe super well. Is this symptomatic of a fixed deck? I know the blades are just standard blades you would get on the machine, basically nothing fancy. No mulch kit, no high lift blades, no stripe kit, ect. I've been told mulch blades for leaves, high lift for cutting grass. Is this the general consensus among everyone too?

Any input or suggestions would be awesome!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the deck pitched correctly on both machines? How high and what are you cutting?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok. Consider me a newb. How does one pitch a fixed deck mower. Isn't that the point?... That you can't? We typically cut all the way up or one washer down. Mostly fescue here in the KC area.

Equipment:
1991 F-350 Flat/Dump bed, 7.3 Diesel, Dually, AKA (War Wagon).
8' Meyer Snow Plow.
Salt Dogg Salt Spreader
16' Tandem Axle Trailer, 5' Sides, Cage, Trimmer/Blower rack.
48" Wright Stander, Recoil Start Kawasaki.
36" Wright Stander, Recoil Start Kawasaki.
1 Craftsman Push Mower
Stihl Handhelds
DR Lawn Vacuum
Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, somehow glanced right over that. Ha You'd be correct about that. Unless the tires were really flat or something.

Moving on. Is the grass irrigated or otherwise getting regular rain? Fertilizer? I've used mostly Toro stuff so I can't speculate on different decks too much but from my experiences, a lawn with more lush grass will stripe better.

People say height is a factor but I can get perfect stripes at 1" or at 3 1/2". You seem to be cutting on the higher end which is what a lot of people say to use for a better contrast.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to know also. I have the wright sport RH deck. Which is fixed, but easily adjust able. I want to leave nice stripes. Anyone done any home made striping kits? I searched and found pvc, chains and rubber flap. I bought a 1/8" rubber flap, but I cant visualize how to put it on without running over it with the wheels. The big league one costs $250 too...
Thanks for anyones help
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 08-22-2014, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub View Post
Ok. Consider me a newb. How does one pitch a fixed deck mower. Isn't that the point?... That you can't? We typically cut all the way up or one washer down. Mostly fescue here in the KC area.
You pitch it using the spacers on the front and adjusting everything to your cutting height.

The wheel motor mounts can move up and down. The mounting point for the front casters can move up and down. You can change blade spacers to move them up and down. The spacers on the casters is what allows for pitch. If you are jacking them all the way up, your pitch is probably backwards.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
You pitch it using the spacers on the front and adjusting everything to your cutting height.

The wheel motor mounts can move up and down. The mounting point for the front casters can move up and down. You can change blade spacers to move them up and down. The spacers on the casters is what allows for pitch. If you are jacking them all the way up, your pitch is probably backwards.
Pugs, I know exactly what you mean by all the caster adjustments and the wheel motor mounts adjusting. Seen those before. So set those for the lowest or highest or middle???

Equipment:
1991 F-350 Flat/Dump bed, 7.3 Diesel, Dually, AKA (War Wagon).
8' Meyer Snow Plow.
Salt Dogg Salt Spreader
16' Tandem Axle Trailer, 5' Sides, Cage, Trimmer/Blower rack.
48" Wright Stander, Recoil Start Kawasaki.
36" Wright Stander, Recoil Start Kawasaki.
1 Craftsman Push Mower
Stihl Handhelds
DR Lawn Vacuum
Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this rally gOing to make it stripe better? I have mine at the factory settings and it works well it just doesn't stripe
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Pugs, I know exactly what you mean by all the caster adjustments and the wheel motor mounts adjusting. Seen those before. So set those for the lowest or highest or middle???
It depends what cutting height you want. At the end just make sure the front of the deck is 1/8-1/4" lower than the back.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Quote:
It depends what cutting height you want. At the end just make sure the front of the deck is 1/8-1/4" lower than the back.
Shouldn't the back be lower than the front seeing how the back of the deck is what is setting your stripe?

Tags
blade , deck , fixed , stripe , wright