Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

3 Point Silt Fence plow/installer?

Anyone own one or used one before?
I'm looking for a way to get our feet wet in the Erosion/Stormwater market. I have a good friend who is a civil engineer for a large Civil Construction Company his advice to me was to start installing silt fencing for construction companies and work up some cash flow to buy a hydroseeder.

I've been looking at 3 point silt fence plows. They seem simple enough that I could use the hitch from an old bushhog and build a custom plow for cheaper than what a new one cost.

Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Anyone own one or used one before?
I'm looking for a way to get our feet wet in the Erosion/Stormwater market. I have a good friend who is a civil engineer for a large Civil Construction Company his advice to me was to start installing silt fencing for construction companies and work up some cash flow to buy a hydroseeder.

I've been looking at 3 point silt fence plows. They seem simple enough that I could use the hitch from an old bushhog and build a custom plow for cheaper than what a new one cost.

Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

Could you post a link to a 3 point silt fence installer?

A mini excavator with a tiny digging bucket is what I use for my silt fence installs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://products.ceattachments.com/Co...er&catKey=8901
Old 03-19-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bad idea. Very bad idea. By the time you trench it in with the 3pt, come back and drive stakes and then nail on lathes behind the stake it will take you three times longer then installing pre fab fence. Not to mention all the difficulties involved with trying to trench it in needing to maneuver and reposition but you can't because your tea tethered to it and can't freely move. Now you have nail guns and a air compressor also, mainly fence gets installed on the very edges of the job putting you in the ruts, ravines, soft areas, tree filled area. Not places you want to try to get to with a tractor or a ctl.

Best tool would be a tracked mini skid with a electric winch on the back because getting stuck and silt fence go hand in hand. Put a very short 24" or less bar length trencher on the front. Get a mule or a gator when you get big to haul the fence and tools on big jobs.

Astec makes a machine a lot of fencers use. I believe it's a TF300. They don't make it anymore I believe. My SK755 ditch witch and my custom made trencher is a lot faster and more maneuverable then a TF300.

Trust me, forget the 3pt plow as fast as you can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually a silt fence plow is the best way too install silt so that it has the best chance too properly work.

Trenching is faster only because the all the steps are not followed too properly install it. The soil on the up hill side has too be racked back on the fence and then properly compacted for the fence too work correctly. Most companies do not do this.
You do a wire back fence and trenching gets real slow.

On too your question a tractor would be great for silt fence if the area was wide open. A CTL would be a better solution. A tractor may be perfect for your job just be conscious about it's size.

Your state should have BMP's in place for erosion and I would research them and make my decision based off of them.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a burchland xts. Its a three point, and we also have a skid steer to three point adapter to use it on the CTL's when needed as well. It works great we have had no issues with it, and have probably installed 25 miles of silt fence with it. I would never install silt fence any other way personally. We used some pre fab fence last year for the first time in an area because we had too, and I hope we never have to use it again. Our DOT will not even accept pre fab fence here. Its all machine sliced with metal posts.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

around here they trench it with a mini or a dingo with a trencher. most of the time they use a small mini with a 12" bucket. one guy digs, one guy hammers post, one does the wire and one does the silt fence. when the mini is done digging he blades the dirt down in front and tracks it in

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Landscaping View Post
We have a burchland xts. Its a three point, and we also have a skid steer to three point adapter to use it on the CTL's when needed as well. It works great we have had no issues with it, and have probably installed 25 miles of silt fence with it. I would never install silt fence any other way personally. We used some pre fab fence last year for the first time in an area because we had too, and I hope we never have to use it again. Our DOT will not even accept pre fab fence here. Its all machine sliced with metal posts.
That's how it is here, I had a homemade machine went to a factory made one, huge difference. There are some cheap used machines out there 2k and less. Look into a way to drive posts. That's the killer. No way a trencher will keep up with a machine, you could pull 3,000 feet in an hour. There are a lot of studies that say trenching and vib plowing in the fence is not acceptable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Landscaping View Post
When the economy gets better you will see more states follow suit with eliminating hap hazard silt fence installation. It can be trenched and installed properly but it takes time. Most contractors have no actual education when it comes to bmp's and erosion control. Here in Ga they make us take a class for certification in regards too soil disturbance. Remember erosion is the number one pollution in the USA.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
That's how it is here, I had a homemade machine went to a factory made one, huge difference. There are some cheap used machines out there 2k and less. Look into a way to drive posts. That's the killer. No way a trencher will keep up with a machine, you could pull 3,000 feet in an hour. There are a lot of studies that say trenching and vib plowing in the fence is not acceptable.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't own one a friend does but I have installed it
I used a 3 point plow

One job I did it at They had 1 mile to install The contactor had there own guys installed 1/2 mile of it using a trencher took them day and half I did the other 1/2 in a day. I wish I did the 1 mile. A month later we got 4'' rain and where the contractor guys installed it I had go and fix it in the mud my half never moved. It paid well but tell you this its something I wouldn't want to do every day.
Only reason I done it few times since, I had the seeding/landscaping jobs I was ask to install it