Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2014, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74inchShovel View Post
Look at drive lugs where they join the tracks-any sign of cracks here means the lugs could start tearing out. Motor was prone on early models to blow head gaskets. Watch for any signs of overheating. Not the best motor ever put in a skid steer, mine has been fine, but there are a lot of horror stories out there on this site and others. These are a very productive machine if used in the context it was designed for. Make sure the 2 speed works, I have been through 2 latching relays for the 2speed.
^ what he said. You can use Larry lugs to replace any that come loose but that gets pricey quick. We have an rc30 and the bearings in the front and rear bogeys go first - not terribly pleasant to replace but not horrible. The Asv tracks are great for snow too and even better in the mud. There's not another track machine on the market that's as stuck-proof as that thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I had one was a great machine if you do regular maintanace on the rollers the bearings are quite cheap and easy to change . I had over 2200 hours on mine when I sold it and it was all all original tracks and undercarriage except the drive sprockets I rebuilt them a couple of times you must really watch the drive sprocket bearing again cheap and easy to change but if missed and also wrecks the hub the job gets bigger and costs a couple hundred more to fix.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I own a cat 257 with the same undercarriage. I also work for a company that has about 6 of these cat mtl track units. It's a great undercarriage style for light dirt work, landscaping and the tracks are great in the snow. The mtl at work get used super hard by multiple users but seem to hold up to the abuse.

The dealer, CR Woods is in my backyard I you are really interested send me a private message and I'll try to get over there and take some detailed photos for you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2014, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I am located in your area and have had the cat versions of asv, 257 267 277. I am not sure of a local asv dealer for service. so you should probably take that into consideration. That being said, all the things about the engine are correct. If you are really interested make sure it has the mitsu and not the perkins. The undercarriage is the worst part of the machine. Roller bearings go, the squirrel cage is a constant wear item, water will get into the outside carrier bearing of the drive motor. We had numerous issues with the way the suspension articulated wearing into drive motor hydraulic lines. We also had multiple issues with the drive coupler between the engine and hyd pump. The rubber idler wheels will get rocks stuck in them and be destroyed.

If we took them onto finished lawns or swampy areas they were great. However, anything else and I could see money being left in the ground because of the undercarriage. Before you purchase the machine take into account that operating costs are higher than a ctl. If I recall I think track cost is double. When we sold our mtls we took a loss because of all the tack issues that are known with the machines.

If you are dead set on running a mtl I would suggest buying 1 with a junk undercarriage at a steal, often between 10-15k and spending whatever it takes on the undercarriage. Probably around 6k. Or buy one with new tracks for under 20. There are good deals on these machines out there because of the track system. Example, I sold our 267b for 16k with new tracks just to get away from it.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone1471 View Post
I am located in your area and have had the cat versions of asv, 257 267 277. I am not sure of a local asv dealer for service. so you should probably take that into consideration. That being said, all the things about the engine are correct. If you are really interested make sure it has the mitsu and not the perkins. The undercarriage is the worst part of the machine. Roller bearings go, the squirrel cage is a constant wear item, water will get into the outside carrier bearing of the drive motor. We had numerous issues with the way the suspension articulated wearing into drive motor hydraulic lines. We also had multiple issues with the drive coupler between the engine and hyd pump. The rubber idler wheels will get rocks stuck in them and be destroyed.

If we took them onto finished lawns or swampy areas they were great. However, anything else and I could see money being left in the ground because of the undercarriage. Before you purchase the machine take into account that operating costs are higher than a ctl. If I recall I think track cost is double. When we sold our mtls we took a loss because of all the tack issues that are known with the machines.

If you are dead set on running a mtl I would suggest buying 1 with a junk undercarriage at a steal, often between 10-15k and spending whatever it takes on the undercarriage. Probably around 6k. Or buy one with new tracks for under 20. There are good deals on these machines out there because of the track system. Example, I sold our 267b for 16k with new tracks just to get away from it.
Thanks for the info Modern Group is the local Terex/ASV dealer which is also who i deal with for my bandit chipper
Old 08-23-2014, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Last time I was at Modern Group was when their west chester store was winding down (2008 or thereabouts). Had the rc30 in for warranty work (arms leaking down) almost a year after buying it new for $27,500 - I had them do an oil change, flush the coolant, replace the battery, and adjust tension on the tracks. After several weeks of waiting they had changed the oil (4 quarts + filter), flushed the coolant, TRICKLE CHARGED the battery, and pronouced the tracks to be within spec - no need for adjustment. My bill came to over $400. Service manager (John something - fat guy) got pissed off when I asked him if some of the warranty hours were accidentally billed to me... ASV was notoriously stingy with warranty labor rates and it was pretty obvious they were reimbursing themselves a little through their customers. Not my favorite company to do business with.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen a few of these with the front torsion axle tired and saggy. Pick the bucket off the ground and take a look at the fender to track line and see if the distance closes a drastic amount.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 257. It had a lot nice points but the undercarriage was a nightmare and expensive. It's not hard to work on but sucks when you keep fixing the same things over and over. We were running Bair aluminum idlers , still problems, broke drive lugs replaced with Larry lugs and pulled the Larry lugs thru the tracks. We were using a 74" bucket, lifting and ran a small tree spade. I think the only way these will live is in light applications, and not carrying a lot of weight on front end
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2014, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 257. It had a lot nice points but the undercarriage was a nightmare and expensive. It's not hard to work on but sucks when you keep fixing the same things over and over. We were running Bair aluminum idlers , still problems, broke drive lugs replaced with Larry lugs and pulled the Larry lugs thru the tracks. We were using a 74" bucket, lifting and ran a small tree spade. I think the only way these will live is in light applications, and not carrying a lot of weight on front end
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2014, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scapes View Post
i have the hours and you live in Georgia i live in PA

Regardless of where you live or I live the costs of owning an ASV machine can be insanely expensive and the cost of that machine is irrelevant in relation to the cost of owning it. Hopefully you will be one of the very few who actually are rich enough too not have too worry about paying for repairs.