Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
its not called a weedeater, its called a trimmer
I use both...customers from time to time call me up and ask why we didn't trim the bushes...they parrot back the standard ; 'mowing, trimming ,edging and blow off walks'...line trimming, string trimming, quality border trimming...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cycle View Post
It's not called a trimmer, it's called a strimmer

Lol or a weed whacker.......suddenly all the grass edging the sidewalk is now weed? whack it!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
Lol or a weed whacker.......suddenly all the grass edging the sidewalk is now weed? whack it!
Thought they were called whipper snippers no?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
Thought they were called whipper snippers no?
Posted via Mobile Device
oh you got me there
Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To the OP.... Try to keep your debt low before you have steady income coming in thru the biz. Last thing you want to do is have to sell your equipment as another member has stated. The used wb mower is a good idea and if possible even forget the trailer. Just get a ramp for your truck and kick things off with lowest start up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My advise is to buy a good used stand on mower. On those sized yards a stand on will out perform a rider any day of the week as well as cost less to purchase as they tend to not hold the resale value a rider does atleast around here. A stand on will excel in those conditions and will still be productive enough that if you got some larger properties you can still use it. Before I sold my business anything that was 60" and under was a stand on machine and then I would run a 72" rider for the big commercial properties. I did extensive research and found a stand on as productive as a rider in most situations and I felt better at the end of the day after standing vs riding. Everyone has a opinion but this worked out excellent for me and I did everything from small residential accounts to very large factory properties and used the same equipment on all of them. I ran a 72" rider and 52" and 61" stand ons.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

ya as others have said keep your debt low. I would just buy a cheap hand held blower unless you have huge areas to blow off. 90 percent of my accounts would take longer to get one strapped on my back then to do the blowing. get a decent sized mower but not too big just make one size work, I would go 48 or 54. whatever you like best as far as stand on ztr or walk behind. doesn't really matter. If you have to turn away a few yards because you cant fit or too steep a hill o well. as some have mentioned try a stand on, I ran a ztr for 8 years(my only mower) 54" deck and made it work everywhere. however just demoed several standers and they are sweet, really stick on hills, comfortable, and productive. I am planning on buying a deere 661r.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Well i t'm still throwing the thought around of financing the gravely but i'm also throwing around the idea more about a used mower and a handheld blower sounds like a better concept for smaller jobs until I get established for small to med commercial jobs. Thanks for all your support and information. and as far as a trailer, I don't have any other place to secure a mower and other equipment, so an enclosed trailer is almost a must. Maybe a smaller landscaping trailer and use cable locks to hold it down? ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtscooter5 View Post
I would just buy a cheap hand held blower unless you have huge areas to blow off. 90 percent of my accounts would take longer to get one strapped on my back then to do the blowing.
I'll put a $100 bill down that a BP blower is, by far, faster than a HH. It takes ~2 seconds to throw it on my back. Once there, I'll leave you in the fumes of my BR600. That's the only piece of equipment where I'll tell someone to get the absolute biggest one possible. It makes that big of a difference, on every property, residential or commercial. And, you'll need it on every property.

Take a look at my thread, in my signature (pick on the red hyperlink). Of the pieces I have, I'd highly recommend the enclosed trailer size, 60" ZTR or stander, 30" push mower, dedicated string trimmer (no Stihl 4-mix or FS55R-Stihl's Kombi string trimmer attachment is too short), multi-task powerhead with edger, hedge trimmer (last piece to buy), and BP blower (Red Max 8500/Husky 580). At some point, you're going to need all the other hand tools, as well.

You really need to be cautious, with your ambitions. You'll be surprised how fast your business doesn't grow. It's way harder to get into targeted areas than you think. It's way harder to get good, paying customers than you think. There are too many lawn guys willing to do the work cheaper and many more customers willing to pay less than you.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

just trying to get this guy into mowing cheaper, a hand held blower will work just fine and is a lot cheaper. but if you want to race leaf blowers il head to Illinois, look out I got a cheap bad ass poulan from wal mart with no air cleaner 8 or ten years old. il give it my best shot

Tags
gravely , new business , new guy , starting out