Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2015, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

bid proposal, contract

Does anyone care to share what they consider to be a good bid proposal or example of their contract? I have one but feel it's pretty generic. I thought about having an attorney type something up but I would much rather get input from the guys that have been doing it for a while.

Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

wish i COULD help. iam very lucky to live in small town USA. i only use to the penny est"s and no contracts. everyone knows everyone around here, makes for pretty smooth sailing. thats a bummer for you guys in the bigger towns, that alone must burn up some time and @ 16 yrs some ink too.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply
Old 02-28-2015, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeE View Post
wish i COULD help. iam very lucky to live in small town USA. i only use to the penny est"s and no contracts. everyone knows everyone around here, makes for pretty smooth sailing. thats a bummer for you guys in the bigger towns, that alone must burn up some time and @ 16 yrs some ink too.
Same here, I've never had a contract form to use.
Line-striping
Hot Rubberized Crack Sealing
Ashpalt Sealcoating.
Mow & Go Lawncare
Old 02-28-2015, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Really? Doesn't it scare you guys that someone will try to not pay you? I mean a $100-$200 driveway is one thing but $5000.00 worth of work that's another story you have to protect yourself. I mean if someone refuses to pay there's not much you can do about it at least with a contract or proposal agreement that'll help you out in court if it comes to that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

i suspect a generic contract would be fine for medium size lots & down. your basic if i do the job to this standard you will pay me, and whatever you dont want to be libalfor. the other will be hand written in any manner you want, i propose to @#$%^&*(). I, could not use one that locks the customer in no matter what, nor would i even want to, thats no way to make new frends. staying flexable will help you get through this work. what worked 10 yrs ago might not work today and viceversa. customers are changing, there more knolgable, there asking better questions and being very carful with money. i would say dont allways rely on the old way of doing things, but thats just my .02. as for those buzzillllion doller contracts
"i doeno".
Old 02-28-2015, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

that last one was typed b4 i saw your last.
its an area thing. i feel bad for you guys in bigger towns, i know YOU should have somthing. on a job of
$4000. and up or from someone i diddent know or know of, i use to ask for 50% $ @ 50% complet. in a small town everyone knows everyone or knows of them. very seldom do i worry about getting paid. thats not to say you shouldent, you know your area better, do what makes you feel safe. and keep the customers side of the coin in mind too. maybe my time is comming, now you got me thinking about it....things are changing, maybe i need to stop being so laidback. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I get what you're saying and the desire to build strong relationships with clients. All I'm saying is for protection purposes I want to have a solid contract which basically lays out the work to be performed and when payment is expected or due. It doesn't tie anyone to anything other than they x amount of dollars at completion of work. If they decide not to use me based off me asking them to sign a contract than that's perfectly fine with me. Plenty of asphalt to be sealed to worry about some guy not wanting to sign a contract. We have a business to run, bills to pay and families to feed. I get every company is a little bit different and some things work better for some than others. I just want to cover my butt. If someone decides not to pay than you won't have a very long friendship with them anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2015, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

well put.
the old guy seems to be learning a thing or two from the newbes.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHSEALER View Post
I get what you're saying and the desire to build strong relationships with clients. All I'm saying is for protection purposes I want to have a solid contract which basically lays out the work to be performed and when payment is expected or due. It doesn't tie anyone to anything other than they x amount of dollars at completion of work. If they decide not to use me based off me asking them to sign a contract than that's perfectly fine with me. Plenty of asphalt to be sealed to worry about some guy not wanting to sign a contract. We have a business to run, bills to pay and families to feed. I get every company is a little bit different and some things work better for some than others. I just want to cover my butt. If someone decides not to pay than you won't have a very long friendship with them anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just make them sign the quote, it has the date on it, with the service and the cost that it's going to be, it says on the quote, the terms of payments after the service has been done. Says my company address and the customers address. By signing the quote it pretty much says that they agree to everything on the quote. I keep 1 copy and give them a copy. Seems legit enough for me, I only do that for big jobs.
Complete lawn care services