Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I own both. For just mow blow and go accounts I would never use an enclosed. I only use the enclosed one day a week when we do a large hoa property. These the cons to my enclosed.

1. Alot more difficult to grab handhelds
2. Hard to fuel up mowers
3. Backing up is a pain
4. Horrible gas mileage
I've had both.

1. I stand at the door, on the ground, and reach in to the right and grab my string trimmer or edger, no problem. My BP blower is right beside that, hanging on a hook. I simply step up, grab it, throw it on. I don't release any holder, undo padlocks, nothing. I don't see what's so hard. And, time savings is negligible.

2. I pull up to the pump, drop the rear door, and fuel both sides of my mower. If you're a multiple ZTR/stander situation, order or install a fuel door. That's a negative, depending on your operation. For me, it's not.

3. How so? I've got mirrors. I use them and have yet to have an issue backing my trailer. If you can't drive, then, it's going to be a problem.

4. In an urban environ, it makes no difference. On the highway, the difference is going to be negligible, because that huge gate on the back of a open trailer catches a lot of wind, as do the various pieces of equipment and HH racks. On windy days, I could really feel everything catching wind. I got crap mileage, with an open trailer, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpmaster View Post
Going to need a 3/4 ton truck to pull an enclosed trailer. I would never get an enclosed but I got a garage that my truck an trailer fit in.
You don't need a 3/4T truck. You followed your initial statement with no proof or argument. The beginning of your second sentence sets up your general, negative attitude toward enclosed, again, with no argument. If you don't like them, that's fine. But, at least state your reasoning why. BTW, my truck and enclosed fit into my garage and shop, respectively.

To the OP, a 6'X12' isn't enough trailer, IMHO. You need 7' width to fit larger decks, like a 60". The interior width of a trailer is narrower than advertised width. The rear door opening is even narrower. Also, you need room to move around inside, when things are loaded. You don't need huge, but, definitely need adequate size. I've had a couple guys with larger trailers say they wish they had my setup, just because of space, cost, and setup efficiency.

You need trailer brakes. I've had trailers with and without. Brakes make a huge difference. I'll never own another without them.

Consider a V-nose, as it adds quite a bit of floor space and room up front.

I'd recommend a 5,000lb axle, as basic necessities add up faster than you think. With my setup, 30" pusher, and 60" ZTR, I'm at 3720lbs on the trailer axle.

You can't beat the security and convenience of an enclosed. It's nice to not have to worry about someone stealing equipment, while I'm at the back of a property. I have one place where I end up ~3mi away from my truck/trailer. It's nice when something needs addressed at a property and I simply go to the trailer and grab whatever tool it is I need. Customers appreciate it, too.

The advertising space will more than pay for the additional cost over open. My number one source of additional business has been the signage on my trailer.

Pay the extra ~$50 and get a color-matched trailer. It adds so much to the appearance of the operation. I continually get compliments on my rig.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Open. Just much easier to use.. My opinion..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've had both.

1. I stand at the door, on the ground, and reach in to the right and grab my string trimmer or edger, no problem. My BP blower is right beside that, hanging on a hook. I simply step up, grab it, throw it on. I don't release any holder, undo padlocks, nothing. I don't see what's so hard. And, time savings is negligible.

2. I pull up to the pump, drop the rear door, and fuel both sides of my mower. If you're a multiple ZTR/stander situation, order or install a fuel door. That's a negative, depending on your operation. For me, it's not.

3. How so? I've got mirrors. I use them and have yet to have an issue backing my trailer. If you can't drive, then, it's going to be a problem.

4. In an urban environ, it makes no difference. On the highway, the difference is going to be negligible, because that huge gate on the back of a open trailer catches a lot of wind, as do the various pieces of equipment and HH racks. On windy days, I could really feel everything catching wind. I got crap mileage, with an open trailer, too.

You don't need a 3/4T truck. You followed your initial statement with no proof or argument. The beginning of your second sentence sets up your general, negative attitude toward enclosed, again, with no argument. If you don't like them, that's fine. But, at least state your reasoning why. BTW, my truck and enclosed fit into my garage and shop, respectively.

To the OP, a 6'X12' isn't enough trailer, IMHO. You need 7' width to fit larger decks, like a 60". The interior width of a trailer is narrower than advertised width. The rear door opening is even narrower. Also, you need room to move around inside, when things are loaded. You don't need huge, but, definitely need adequate size. I've had a couple guys with larger trailers say they wish they had my setup, just because of space, cost, and setup efficiency.

You need trailer brakes. I've had trailers with and without. Brakes make a huge difference. I'll never own another without them.

I'd recommend a 5,000lb axle, as basic necessities add up faster than you think. With my setup, 30" pusher, and 60" ZTR, I'm at 3720lbs on the trailer axle.

You can't beat the security and convenience of an enclosed. It's nice to not have to worry about someone stealing equipment, while I'm at the back of a property. I have one place where I end up ~3mi away from my truck/trailer. It's nice when something needs addressed at a property and I simply go to the trailer and grab whatever tool it is I need. Customers appreciate it, too.

The advertising space will more than pay for the additional cost over open. My number one source of additional business has been the signage on my trailer.

Pay the extra ~$50 and get a color-matched trailer. It adds so much to the appearance of the operation. I continually get compliments on my rig.
Just going to have to agree to disagee on this one.
My guys hate the enclosed as much as I do. My neighbor who builds cell towers has fabricated the inside of more enclosed trailers than I can count set up the inside of mine perfectly for a lawncare operation. It will never be more efficient than an open trailer. The only reason I keep it is to store salt in the wintertime.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
The only reason I keep it is to store salt in the wintertime.
Posted via Mobile Device
Storing salt in an enclosed trailer should turn it into a pile of rust pretty quickly.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've had both.

Over priced, too cumbersome, an can only access equipment from the rear gate of the trailer. NUFF SAID!

Well if you only cut 4 lawns a day it might not be bad but in this neck of the woods one gotta cut over 15 lawns a day just to pay the water bill.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Over priced, too cumbersome, an can only access equipment from the rear gate of the trailer. NUFF SAID!
I was talking to one of the other LCOs, today. He told me he's had ~$2200 in HHs stolen off his open setup, so far this year. He's switching to an enclosed, because of it. What he's lost, this year, is half way to what an enclosed costs.

His tandem, 20'X8.5' open trailer, like many run, is far more cumbersome than my SA, 12'X7' enclosed. For a solo operation, one doesn't need more than what I have.

Again, if one is solo, you simply drop the back door and fuel up. What's so hard?

Quote:
Well if you only cut 4 lawns a day it might not be bad but in this neck of the woods one gotta cut over 15 lawns a day just to pay the water bill.
I hear that all the time, from LCOs. At the same time, I hear property owners say they can't get their regular lawn guy to do anything but mow. There's a lot of money being left on the table, when one doesn't offer full service. There's a lot more profitability in spending a whole day at one property, than spending the day, behind the windshield, chasing $30 lawns. Furthermore, letting the competition onto your customer's property is never good. That's just my humble opinion.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
My guys hate the enclosed as much as I do. My neighbor who builds cell towers has fabricated the inside of more enclosed trailers than I can count set up the inside of mine perfectly for a lawncare operation. It will never be more efficient than an open trailer. The only reason I keep it is to store salt in the wintertime.
No problem. Some like them, some don't.

The OP mentioned a setup for a family member, which would be a solo operation, I assume. It may not be such an issue for him/her, versus a team/crew.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer