Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-29-2014, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Concerned exhaust valve clearance zero

Engine BS Vanguard 613177 type 0114-e1 code 5122612. This unit has about 1000hours, first time to check valve clearance. How can the clearance be zero or less on the exhaust on one side? I checked and double checked to be sure the valve stem was in the saddle on both ends.

The other 3 clearances ran .006 - .011. I readjust all to .006" and the
Unit started and ran but I shut it down thinking I may missed something.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

It was likely set that way from day one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Umm.. Did you check the valves while the engine was still hot?

I know it is a silly question but the engine must be 100% cool.

the reason there is valve lash to begin with is thermal expansion. If the engine is hot the metal in the valves be expanded and you will not be able to accurately read the clearance.

Metal expands when it is heated as the particles move further apart.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcartwri View Post
It was likely set that way from day one.
Posted via Mobile Device

If it was set that was from day 1 the valve would have likely burned in many fewer than 1000 hours. Also if you set the valve lash to zero on a cold engine it is not likely to run once ti warms up.

So if you set the lash while the engine was hot. Re set with the lash with engine cold.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.

Last edited by tigerepairdotcom; 08-29-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
Umm.. Did you check the valves while the engine was still hot?

I know it is a silly question but the engine must be 100% cool.

the reason there is valve lash to begin with is thermal expansion. If the engine is hot the metal in the valves be expanded and you will not be able to accurately read the clearance.

Metal expands when it is heated as the particles move further apart.
It wasn't hot I pulled it in shop and took awhile to get plugs out and covers off. If it was hot it should have clearance right? The unit got to the point that it would only start cold. It is propane. When really hot I could hear a pop which was probably ignition with the exhaust open a little. It bothers me that it would wear in and get tighter? The adjusting nut was tight.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If it was set that was from day 1 the valve would have likely burned in many fewer than 1000 hours. Also if you set the valve lash to zero on a cold engine it is not likely to run

Not really. Valve would have run a little hot, yes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2014, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ed2hess here is my suggestion. Adjust valves cold and then run a compression test just to make sure they match. And let us know what you find
Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcartwri View Post
Not really. Valve would have run a little hot, yes.
Posted via Mobile Device
An exhaust valve can burn if the valve clearance closes up for some reason (improper adjustment, cam or lifter wear, a bent push rod, worn rocker arm or cam follower, etc.). The lack of clearance in the valvetrain prevents the valve from closing fully, which causes it to leak compression and overheat.

I pool my knowledge from over 5000 hours of cylinder rebuild work over 4 years of being a mechanic in the USMC and having a mechanical engineer as a father... What basis of knowledge do you pool from stating that a valve will not burn if the clearance is set to 0 at cold?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
An exhaust valve can burn if the valve clearance closes up for some reason (improper adjustment, cam or lifter wear, a bent push rod, worn rocker arm or cam follower, etc.). The lack of clearance in the valvetrain prevents the valve from closing fully, which causes it to leak compression and overheat.

I pool my knowledge from over 5000 hours of cylinder rebuild work over 4 years of being a mechanic in the USMC and having a mechanical engineer as a father... What basis of knowledge do you pool from stating that a valve will not burn if the clearance is set to 0 at cold?
I guess you missed the part where he measured it shortly after running it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Engine BS Vanguard 613177 type 0114-e1 code 5122612. This unit has about 1000hours, first time to check valve clearance. How can the clearance be zero or less on the exhaust on one side? I checked and double checked to be sure the valve stem was in the saddle on both ends.

The other 3 clearances ran .006 - .011. I readjust all to .006" and the
Unit started and ran but I shut it down thinking I may missed something.
So your question is about how valvetrain wear can make clearance tighten asopposed to loosen?
Valve seats can wear causing the valve to recess in the head andthe valve itself can deform. Id adjust it to spec and run it. Maybe check it again in a couple hundred hours to see if ittightens up again.
Posted via Mobile Device