Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2014, 08:57 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,855
Concerned exhaust valve clearance zero

Engine BS Vanguard 613177 type 0114-e1 code 5122612. This unit has about 1000hours, first time to check valve clearance. How can the clearance be zero or less on the exhaust on one side? I checked and double checked to be sure the valve stem was in the saddle on both ends.

The other 3 clearances ran .006 - .011. I readjust all to .006" and the
Unit started and ran but I shut it down thinking I may missed something.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Tcartwri Tcartwri is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 30
It was likely set that way from day one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 PM
tigerepairdotcom tigerepairdotcom is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: duluth, ga
Posts: 266
Umm.. Did you check the valves while the engine was still hot?

I know it is a silly question but the engine must be 100% cool.

the reason there is valve lash to begin with is thermal expansion. If the engine is hot the metal in the valves be expanded and you will not be able to accurately read the clearance.

Metal expands when it is heated as the particles move further apart.
__________________
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 PM
tigerepairdotcom tigerepairdotcom is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: duluth, ga
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcartwri View Post
It was likely set that way from day one.
Posted via Mobile Device

If it was set that was from day 1 the valve would have likely burned in many fewer than 1000 hours. Also if you set the valve lash to zero on a cold engine it is not likely to run once ti warms up.

So if you set the lash while the engine was hot. Re set with the lash with engine cold.
__________________
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.

Last edited by tigerepairdotcom; 08-29-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
Umm.. Did you check the valves while the engine was still hot?

I know it is a silly question but the engine must be 100% cool.

the reason there is valve lash to begin with is thermal expansion. If the engine is hot the metal in the valves be expanded and you will not be able to accurately read the clearance.

Metal expands when it is heated as the particles move further apart.
It wasn't hot I pulled it in shop and took awhile to get plugs out and covers off. If it was hot it should have clearance right? The unit got to the point that it would only start cold. It is propane. When really hot I could hear a pop which was probably ignition with the exhaust open a little. It bothers me that it would wear in and get tighter? The adjusting nut was tight.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Tcartwri Tcartwri is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
If it was set that was from day 1 the valve would have likely burned in many fewer than 1000 hours. Also if you set the valve lash to zero on a cold engine it is not likely to run

Not really. Valve would have run a little hot, yes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2014, 03:51 AM
tigerepairdotcom tigerepairdotcom is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: duluth, ga
Posts: 266
Ed2hess here is my suggestion. Adjust valves cold and then run a compression test just to make sure they match. And let us know what you find
__________________
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 AM
tigerepairdotcom tigerepairdotcom is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: duluth, ga
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcartwri View Post
Not really. Valve would have run a little hot, yes.
Posted via Mobile Device
An exhaust valve can burn if the valve clearance closes up for some reason (improper adjustment, cam or lifter wear, a bent push rod, worn rocker arm or cam follower, etc.). The lack of clearance in the valvetrain prevents the valve from closing fully, which causes it to leak compression and overheat.

I pool my knowledge from over 5000 hours of cylinder rebuild work over 4 years of being a mechanic in the USMC and having a mechanical engineer as a father... What basis of knowledge do you pool from stating that a valve will not burn if the clearance is set to 0 at cold?
__________________
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Tcartwri Tcartwri is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
An exhaust valve can burn if the valve clearance closes up for some reason (improper adjustment, cam or lifter wear, a bent push rod, worn rocker arm or cam follower, etc.). The lack of clearance in the valvetrain prevents the valve from closing fully, which causes it to leak compression and overheat.

I pool my knowledge from over 5000 hours of cylinder rebuild work over 4 years of being a mechanic in the USMC and having a mechanical engineer as a father... What basis of knowledge do you pool from stating that a valve will not burn if the clearance is set to 0 at cold?
I guess you missed the part where he measured it shortly after running it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Bashby Bashby is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charles Town WV
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Engine BS Vanguard 613177 type 0114-e1 code 5122612. This unit has about 1000hours, first time to check valve clearance. How can the clearance be zero or less on the exhaust on one side? I checked and double checked to be sure the valve stem was in the saddle on both ends.

The other 3 clearances ran .006 - .011. I readjust all to .006" and the
Unit started and ran but I shut it down thinking I may missed something.
So your question is about how valvetrain wear can make clearance tighten asopposed to loosen?
Valve seats can wear causing the valve to recess in the head andthe valve itself can deform. Id adjust it to spec and run it. Maybe check it again in a couple hundred hours to see if ittightens up again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.07747 seconds with 8 queries