Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
So your question is about how valvetrain wear can make clearance tighten asopposed to loosen?
Valve seats can wear causing the valve to recess in the head andthe valve itself can deform. Id adjust it to spec and run it. Maybe check it again in a couple hundred hours to see if ittightens up again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Here is a thread from Garage Journal that deals with a B&S engine that had similar issues and valve growth is discussed.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-118796.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
It wasn't hot I pulled it in shop and took awhile to get plugs out and covers off. If it was hot it should have clearance right? The unit got to the point that it would only start cold. It is propane. When really hot I could hear a pop which was probably ignition with the exhaust open a little. It bothers me that it would wear in and get tighter? The adjusting nut was tight.
Are you running propane specific oil? Propane can produce allot of deposits on the valves and lead to overheated valves if they are held off the seat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2014, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
Ed2hess here is my suggestion. Adjust valves cold and then run a compression test just to make sure they match. And let us know what you find
ok I will have to get fitting for that size plug. Think I will let unit set until I can run test and use backup.

Quote:
So your question is about how valvetrain wear can make clearance tighten asopposed to loosen?
Valve seats can wear causing the valve to recess in the head andthe valve itself can deform. Id adjust it to spec and run it. Maybe check it again in a couple hundred hours to see if ittightens up again.
Posted via Mobile Device
now that makes sense.I remember grinding valves on FB460 and then would have to remove the valve and grind the tip to get clearance. Kinda makes me wonder about how running propane affects engine. I thought I was doing a good thing that would increase life.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Valve seats can wear causing the valve to recess in the head
A local guy does LPG conversions and said valve problems are quite common on converted engines.

Intake valves rely on gasoline for cleaning. When converting to LPG some sort of auxiliary valve lubrication system is added.

Unlike gasoline, propane burns hotter and slower on richer fuel/air ratios which can cause exhaust valve/seat wear. I believe most OEM propane engines come with hardened valves and seats.

What Ed2Hess need to do is have his regulator checked. Next take a compression reading and if low a valve job needs to be done.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 08-31-2014, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

This is an example of LPG specific oil;

http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...engine-oils/71
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2014, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ed2hess here is my suggestion. Adjust valves cold and then run a compression test just to make sure they match. And let us know what you find
Well they don't match......120 and 165. The 120 is on the side where I apparently had valve wear. Sure would like to run until winter before I pull that head. Sure hope the seat is not damaged.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
A local guy does LPG conversions and said valve problems are quite common on converted engines.

Intake valves rely on gasoline for cleaning. When converting to LPG some sort of auxiliary valve lubrication system is added.

Unlike gasoline, propane burns hotter and slower on richer fuel/air ratios which can cause exhaust valve/seat wear. I believe most OEM propane engines come with hardened valves and seats.

What Ed2Hess need to do is have his regulator checked. Next take a compression reading and if low a valve job needs to be done.
Not exactly but close!

http://www.transtechenergy.com/LPG-N...alve-Recession
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not that it matters but I think it was the exhaust that was tight. Having the valve seats replaced would be costly and new heads probably cost
An arm and leg. As long as compression holds I am going to run it.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found some used heads on ebay a while back for my ch25. Might be worthwhile to try to find something cheap to have in inventory. Go ahead and get some head gaskets too... that should guarantee your old one will last forever.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for help.

Quote:
I found some used heads on ebay a while back for my ch25. Might be worthwhile to try to find something cheap to have in inventory. Go ahead and get some head gaskets too... that should guarantee your old one will last forever.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for help....lesson learned on doing aftermarket propane install.