Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2003, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Too many want to be's

This is kind of the same thread as the "low ballers" Im in the same situation. In my town of about 15,000 there are about 3-4 professionals including myself who base there company on quality. This year ive seen at least 10-15 guys with murry mowers, homelite trimmers and blowers. Im sure they dont have any insurance and are charging 30-40% less than they should. My question is maybe they just dont know what to charge. Im thinking of stopping some of them and just asking them what they are charging to mow a 4,000sq.ft. lawn. If they $15 ill let them know what they should be charging. Do you think this is ethical? I just know im tired of competing with them and there work sucks. I also if the customer says so and so can do it cheaper i always ask, are they insured? What happens when a rock goes through there window? Usually they will smarten up and go with the pro.....
any way, let me know what you think.
Hope all of ya have a great season and dont worry about the "Wanna Be's" they wont last.
www.turftouch.biz
Jordan Wilson
620-222-LAWN (5296)
99' F-250 Powerstroke 4x4
00' F-350 Powerstroke W/dump
03' Ditch Witch 255sx
03' Hustler Super Z
Walker's
48" Gravely WB
stihl & Shindiwa power equipment
18' trailer.
and a few other goodies......
Old 03-28-2003, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been seeing them for years. In fact, I see a new one every day that I never saw before. My area is swamped with scrubs. No biggie. I understand, especially now with unemployment so high, that people are trying to make a living doing whatever they can. And I have no problem with that. That's what I love about this business - that anyone can start on the ground level. From there, they can choose to become more professional and make a living at it if they want. Or they can just do it until they find something better - which I think is most often what happens.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think that's a GREAT idea. Why would that be unethical? If it were me, I'd even stop and say, "Wow! You're only getting $15 a cut?? Sheesh. You're getting ripped off man. I was getting that 7 years ago. You should seriously think about raising your prices. You can make some good money in this business if you want. "

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 03-28-2003, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of stopping some of them and just asking them what they are charging to mow a 4,000sq.ft. lawn. If they $15 ill let them know what they should be charging. Do you think this is ethical?

I am not an attorney, but that could be very close to restricting free trade (FTC) rules.

I think Jimlewis's would be much safer.
"Wow! You're only getting $15 a cut?? Sheesh. You're getting ripped off man. I was getting that 7 years ago. "

Your concern is also mine, but don't get yourself in trouble.

My .02 worth.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

To put the positive spin on your post these people are not your competition. You are not in the same league as them period. They are offering a low cost but probably not quality, knowledge, reliability etc. This is what you need to push to educate your prospective clients.

Gravely_Man
Old 03-28-2003, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I was getting kind of heated, but ive settled down. I think im just getting ancious to start the season.
Thanks.
www.turftouch.biz
Jordan Wilson
620-222-LAWN (5296)
99' F-250 Powerstroke 4x4
00' F-350 Powerstroke W/dump
03' Ditch Witch 255sx
03' Hustler Super Z
Walker's
48" Gravely WB
stihl & Shindiwa power equipment
18' trailer.
and a few other goodies......
Old 03-28-2003, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why not charge your price and build your business?

Be consistant and people will notice.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would concentrate on my business and not worry about what the other man is doing. after all there are two kinds of clients-
those that want someone to do it cheap and those that want it done proffesional. let the other guy have those that want it done cheap and you can sit back and watch him work his self out of business
Old 03-28-2003, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You are so right, so many of them are very uneducated and haven't the slightest idea what to charge. And no one bothers telling them because no one associates with them because they either dislike competition or think of them as scrubs not worth associating with. I have a couple friends who I am trying to convert to legitimatiscm (can i say that? LOL). I was the same way until I found LS. Sometimes we need to give them a break and try to help them alittle. I'm sure they'd be happy to charge more if they knew they could, they just don't know they could!!!
Old 03-28-2003, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Unethicle? Highly. Illegal? come on!!!!

It really is none of your business what kind of job he does or what he charges.

The customer will decide what they want. If they want a low baller they will go after the cheapest guy no matter how much you threaten to beat him up or whatever.

Are you going to tell off every high school kid with a craftsman mower too?

Why are we in an industry where we think we are high almighty lawn care technitions and anyone with less time on the job are scrub basterds?

Maybe the guy is just starting out. Maybe like stated before, he lost his job as a CEO of United and is just trying to put food on the table for his twin sons?

But thank god for people some of us, because they'll will put that guy in his place
Old 03-28-2003, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pugsly
Unethicle? Highly. Illegal? come on!!!!

It really is none of your business what kind of job he does or what he charges.

rolleyes:
I agree 150% these scrubs either will get educated and realize they are working way too hard for the $ 15 dollar lawn or go out of business... Did I say scrub, Heck I got insurance to mow,irrigate, landscape, I work a 45 hour a week job
I must be a scrub too!!!! and the two college kids I employ in the summer hum? yep scrubs too... I guess after I finish this post I am going to get some scrub group therapy...
I am just going to explain this once, I didnt steal anybodys piece of the pie,,, I went out and baked my own... There isnt one person on here that has a Birthright to this business...