Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Website help

What do I need to put on my website beside the basics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh boy. Spend several hours/ days reading this forum. And listen and apply everything Tony says.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depends. What do you want your website to be for you? An online brochure? Or something to generate leads online? Two totally different things.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

If you want your site to be found in a search...try searching with words you would expect (electrician + zip code for mine) and see what comes up on the first page. Visit those pages and figure out what they have for content that puts them on the first page of the search. Someone who does websites can be very helpful with this. Nobody knows exactly what search engines do but I was still able to get first page results without paying for the privilege. One thing that helps me is my website has been active longer than most. I think I put mine together in 2006. www.TigerElectrical.com
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Depends. What do you want your website to be for you? An online brochure? Or something to generate leads online? Two totally different things.
Good point! I VOTE FOR GENERATE LEADS!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
More like a brochure showing services offered
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2014, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The most important thing you want is your service area. You only have about 3-5 seconds to keep someones attn. Use that time to let them know if they even can hire you.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteeler View Post
More like a brochure showing services offered
Posted via Mobile Device
Pheoenix, before going further along this road, just be sure that you realize that this means you're not really going to rely on, or care to, using Google/Bing/Yahoo for search engine leads. A brochure site means you plan on pointing your already-generated leads to your site. Headz asked a great, starting question, but I just wanted to make sure you understood why he was asking it.

As for what you need, and if you're going to only use it as brochureware, you'll just want the "standard lawn care company" website. Home/About/Services/Contact pages. If you have good photography, work those in to the content, as well as using them on a portfolio page (if your business's production lends itself to it).

If you can go deeper on your services page, breaking it down in to sub-services pages, it might be wise to do so. If you think about what's most helpful to your customers, you'll be on the right path. As a bonus, you'll probably find yourself "accidentally" positioning yourself for search engine traffic.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Pheoenix, before going further along this road, just be sure that you realize that this means you're not really going to rely on, or care to, using Google/Bing/Yahoo for search engine leads. A brochure site means you plan on pointing your already-generated leads to your site. Headz asked a great, starting question, but I just wanted to make sure you understood why he was asking it.

As for what you need, and if you're going to only use it as brochureware, you'll just want the "standard lawn care company" website. Home/About/Services/Contact pages. If you have good photography, work those in to the content, as well as using them on a portfolio page (if your business's production lends itself to it).

If you can go deeper on your services page, breaking it down in to sub-services pages, it might be wise to do so. If you think about what's most helpful to your customers, you'll be on the right path. As a bonus, you'll probably find yourself "accidentally" positioning yourself for search engine traffic.
Thanks for the help. If I wanted more leads then how would I structure it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Start by understanding your goals and how your website can achieve those goals. If all you want is more information to help allow current customers or leads to read information this can be easily obtained.

If you want more sales and increase leads through your website, you should target your website for people who are looking for services you offer. Create targeted pages specifically for each service plus cities that you service so what someone searching "Toledo Ohio lawn care" they find you, fill out a contact form (or order a service directly) then set up google analytics + goal conversion for everyone that comes to your website and fills out a contact form as a success.

I understand that this is much past the basics so I'll create a list.

1. Domain.
2. Google Account (analytics, webmaster tools)
3. Hosting
4. Targeted Content (use keyword planner to come up with some good about content)
5. Innerworkings (meta information, sitemap, etc)
6. Links / Social sharing