Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki FH531v no throttle response

Hey guys/gals,

While I have found a ton of great info on this site in the past, I have never posted anything. I am a bit stumped on a recent job I did and hope one of you experts can clear the fog so here's goes:

Year: 2001
Make: Husky
Model: YTH1848XP
Engine: Kawasaki FH531V - CS06 - R
*funny thing about that model # is it doesn't show up on any parts suppliers sites (the CS06 part that is).
Hours: 367

First issue

Long story short I ended up doing a full rebuild (didn't need to in the end, but that's another story of live and learn). Now, it starts up just fine, but I get no throttle response when moving the lever up/down. It seems to be stuck @ approx 80-90% throttle. The cable is moving freely, the arm on the control panel is moving freely, the governor is moving, but doesn't seem to be moving as much as I remember. The vertical rod coming from the rotating arm on the bottom of the control panel up to the top carb connection seems to move only 1/2 way then just bends. I have loosened the gov arm to try and adjust, but no change to the issue at hand. If I engage the deck, it bogs down much more than normal. I am thinking something isn't right with the governor but before I pull the engine all back apart again, I figure I'd get some opinions from the experts.

Second Issue
While I am waiting for a new gear drive belt which I hope fixes this issue, here it is: I move the speed lever from Neutral to Rev and from Neutral to Fwd, the mower does move backward and forward, but there is no variation in speed in the fwd range. Just SLOW. Keep in mind I had no issues with the gearbox before pulling the motor. The pulley is installed correctly and shear pin isn't damaged. Like I said, I am hoping the belt will cure that as it is pretty stretched out and doesn't seem to ever have been changed out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My opinion is #1 - Governor arm isn't in right & #2 - drive belt is just old and stretched and maybe just a coincidence issue #2 happened after teardown/rebuild.

Roger
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2014, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow!!!!....91 views in 24 hours and not one reply. Certainly someone has an idea. I am open to any possible suggestions.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roger, I missed your post......

Sounds like you don't have the governor adjusted correctly, Try it again as listed below;

As for the drive system, Look under the frame and there's a plate about 4" wide ran from one side to the other. It's just under the large brake/clutch pedal rod, Grass/dirt/debris gets packed on top of this plate. There's a pedal stop on that rod above the plate and it will hit the packed debris and keep the pedal from coming up fully, If the pedal doesn't come up fully the idler pulleys won't tighten the belt thus cause slippage......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. When I disconnect the arm from the gov shaft, how much free spin should it have when turning the gov shaft? If I recall from having the bottom end off, the gov rotated 90° overall?? I'll give that stuff a whirl tomorrow and update the thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raenglehart View Post
When I disconnect the arm from the gov shaft, how much free spin should it have when turning the gov shaft?

Your not "disconnecting" anything, Your just loosening the arm so you can spin the shaft while holding the carb throttle shaft at wide open position.....
Quote:
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea, that's what I mwamy.....lol. How much movement should I see on the shaft overall. Just want to make sure I didn't mess something up on the inside. I wouldn't think it would br possible but with my luck, the impossible becomes the reality at times....lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well..... If it spins in circles...... You mucked up.....
Quote:
Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

"Yea, that's what I mwamy.....lol."---That's what I get for using my stupid phone to respond. What it should have said is "Yeah, that's what I meant.....lol."

very true.......very true. It isn't spinning at least, so I didn't "muck it up" I reckon

Thanks for that pic of "How to"

Unfortunately that check was good and did not help with my high RPM issue. I have the parts manual and full service manual for this engine model. I have read it end to end. All I can think of is maybe I have something connected wrong on the control panel, but for the life of me comparing the poor pics of the manuals to what I have isn't helping. Can anyone snap a pic of their Kawasaki control panel set up so I can compare (air filter assy removed)? I would imagine most Kawasaki models would be the same for the v-twins according to the manual I have. Or, any other thoughts as to why I can't get idle to come down? Heck, the low idle screw isn't even close to the stop (probably 1/4" or more away).

FYI, fuel/air screw doesn't chance idle either in my case. But one thing that will bring the RPM down is adjusting the choke in/out, but that is normal.

As always....a preemptive thank you to any/all assistance.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well...... I have these;

And you have the link rod pic above in the adjustment diagram...... Notice there's four holes to put the throttle cable into..... whichever end you use, Putting the cable in the upper or lower hole changes the throw of the throttle cable. So..... If in the wrong hole the throttle lever will not pull the carb back down to idle position......
Quote:

Last edited by Restrorob; 09-04-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Forget everything I just said

Thanks for the quick-turn on the pics. Those pics are so much more clear than the manual I have.

Okay, I'll admit when I'm a dumb a $ $.

After posting, I went back out for one more check. I noticed that when I moved the throttle up and down, then left to Full Turtle, the RPM's seemed to creep back up. I put my finger under the throttle arm and gently applied some pressure. what do you know, the RPM's came down. So, while holding pressure, I adjusted the idle screw to where it should be (550 RPM). However, when I release my finger, the throttle arm moves a little causing the RPM's to rise. I left it at that for tonight (had to come in for supper). I'm thinking something on the control panel isn't connected right or a spring isn't applying good pressure to hold the throttle arm in Full Turtle. I'll probably have it sorted tomorrow.

I didn't look into the drive issue yet..hopefully tomorrow as well. Hope my new belt shows up tomorrow.