Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Single Axle Dump Trailer?

Wondering if anyone uses or has any thoughts on a single axle dump trailer? I know most people will say go bigger, but I am a solo operator who does mainly small residential maintenance and gardening. I currently have a 5x10 open trailer that gets used for everything (mowing 3 days a week, pruning jobs, mulch/topsoil, clean-ups, etc.) There would be times when having a dump trailer would come in handy, especially in the fall or when I take debris to the dump. I have though about getting a dump trailer and enclosed trailer, the dump for random jobs and hauling stuff and the enclosed to mowing only. I'm looking into a single axle because I don't need a ton of capacity or payload and also would like to stay under the threshold for getting commercial stickers and inspections in my area, also I have a chevy 1500 pickup and see way too many guys pulling big 3-5 ton dump trailers with their new eco boost ford 1500 series and I know they are just killing their trucks. Again just looking to hear from small companies who may use one.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Eco boost are reading for 12k pounds or something like that

I wouldn't get a single axle dump trailer either way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like running small trailers for the tight service areas I run in (very limited parking). I went with a 5x10 tandem and like it. I could have got the 5x10 single but wanted the extra capacity of the tandem. The weight difference between the single and double was 220lbs but the tandem gives you almost a ton more carrying capacity . What ever you get I would suggest a power up and down cylinder, and the most dump angle you can find and a pulse solar cell that charges the battery so you don't have to plug it in to keep it topped off . Spare tire is also a must have and a tarper is nice too.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not a single axle 6k axle and be done with it, where I'm from the trailer doesn't get added to the trucks weight unless it's more than 6k... seems great to me, why have 2 3500 lb axles when you can just have one, custom build it with the axle set back a little further than normal, jmo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This with the landscape gate, all done

http://camsuperline.com/Trailers/Dump/1.php
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the same situation as you. After a lot of thinking, I've come to the conclusion a dump truck makes more sense. Every job I've needed a dump trailer on, I need my enclosed for all the tools and storage. Single axle dump trailers just don't have a lot of capacity, like a 1-ton dump. But, with a dump truck, I can save trips and hassle. Plus, it'd be nice to take all my weekly yard debris and simply dump it out of the truck. Lastly, having a dump trailer constantly sitting around is never a great thing.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the input, around here the gvwr must be under 4500kg to not need the stickers for both truck and trailer as well as yearly inspections and a bunch of other stuff, not to mention being pulled over at random by the mto. Anything with 2 axles puts you over, not sure about a single 5k axle, never heard of a 6k axle but I'm sure they exist. There is a few companies locally that make a 5x8 or 5x10 single axle dump with a 5k axle, not sure if the 5k puts me over the 4500kg mark or not with the truck, if it does than I wouldn't likely get one just to avoid all of the hassle, gonna check my truck's gvwr and post back when I get some numbers and pricing and such, the 5k rating would be more than enough capacity for my needs, I rarely reach the limits of my 5x10 with 3.5k utility trailer, unless I need to get 2 yards of material at a time, which doesn't happen too often, again my landscape projects are small in scope compared to most people who frequent this site, also mowing setup is currently 2 21" mowers and a 36" ferris, no plans on a rider at all or ever, the homes and market I service are all small residential suburban type homes. Thanks again everyone, here is a couple pics of some trailers I checked out online. 5x8 and 5x10
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Your axle may hold 5k pounds but you have to make sure your tires can hold that much. That's why a lot of trailers have tandem axles. The load rating needs to be able to hold the weight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginter's lawn care View Post
Your axle may hold 5k pounds but you have to make sure your tires can hold that much.
If it's new, they should have the correct load-range tire. However, given the crappiness of the Chinese tires that come on them, I'd strongly recommend sourcing your own. My 10-ply Maxxis are rated 2830lbs each, which is 5660lbs tire capacity, per axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginter's lawn care View Post
That's why a lot of trailers have tandem axles. The load rating needs to be able to hold the weight.
Most common tandem trailers are 3500lb axles and 15" wheel size. You can get single axles with the same weight rating. There are advantages and disadvantages, to both. But, tandems seem to be a "just what everybody runs" mentality. They're cheap and plentiful. A special order with a single 7500lb axle isn't. However, the 16" wheel size allows one to get into commercial tires of heavier construction and harder compounds. But, everyone looks at upfront trailer costs; not long-term.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Thanks for all the input, around here the gvwr must be under 4500kg to not need the stickers for both truck and trailer as well as yearly inspections and a bunch of other stuff, not to mention being pulled over at random by the mto. Anything with 2 axles puts you over, not sure about a single 5k axle, never heard of a 6k axle but I'm sure they exist. There is a few companies locally that make a 5x8 or 5x10 single axle dump with a 5k axle, not sure if the 5k puts me over the 4500kg mark or not with the truck, if it does than I wouldn't likely get one just to avoid all of the hassle, gonna check my truck's gvwr and post back when I get some numbers and pricing and such, the 5k rating would be more than enough capacity for my needs, I rarely reach the limits of my 5x10 with 3.5k utility trailer, unless I need to get 2 yards of material at a time, which doesn't happen too often, again my landscape projects are small in scope compared to most people who frequent this site, also mowing setup is currently 2 21" mowers and a 36" ferris, no plans on a rider at all or ever, the homes and market I service are all small residential suburban type homes. Thanks again everyone, here is a couple pics of some trailers I checked out online. 5x8 and 5x10
I've called our local mto and they assured me, unless the trailers actual weight at the axle is putting 2800kg or more weight to the pavement, it does not get added to the trucks gvwr, so you will not be over 4500kg, so you wount need a cvor, daily trip inspection, however, when taking the trucks gvwr plus any trailers gvwr and adding them together if it is over 4500kg you will need annual safety stickers on them both, which is a good thing in general, I'm from Kitchener, not too far from you...

Ps, Canada trailer makes the best trailers around, you can buy direct and custom as well
Posted via Mobile Device