Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-04-2014, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Duramax 6.6 Diesels, All the same block?

We have 2 2007 GMC C4500s both have the LMM 6.6. One broke a crank, the other we are about to tear down and see what broke. Both had the Harmonic Balancer come apart and reek havoc. Both plus a 2004 with in a 2 week span, the 2004 managed to go without damage internally... Dealer says there are no recalls or service bulletins pertaining to this matter.

We just got a long block for the first truck that broke the crank, installed it 2 weeks ago and can not get it to start on it's own, it will fire with either. Called the local Truck shop that deals with Duramax and he pointed me to a pain in the arse priming process, after a week we started looking into other things like internal timing not being right for the computer. I pulled the paper work, and called the dealer for which engine belongs to this truck. Dealer says its the mid year 2007.5 model having the newer LMM engine setup. They place we got the engine send us the Long Block labeled LB7. I have talked to the sales/mechanic that sold us the long block and he told me the LMM, LB7, LBZ, and 1 other all share the same block. Only difference are the computer detuning, possibly turbo, emmisions, and sometimes the heads and intakes.

Anyone with Knowledge on Duramax's please lend me some info as to whether this is correct or not. If it is correct, point me in some type of direction to look.

The mechanic working the job has 7 different codes, starting with Cam sensor, then crank sensor, intake temp sensor, airflow, and 3 others that he says did not matter, prolly just set off from any one of these. we transferred all parts from original engine which was not having any issues...Also replaced the cam and crank sensors because of the original internals busting loose.

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
18 Encore Rage 52" Stand On Mower
400+ pieces of RedMax Equipment
150+ pieces of Kawasaki Power Equipment
350+ pieces of Husqvarna Handheld Equipment
.....A constant barrage of broken machines!!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

No, they aren't all the same. The LB7 and LLY ('01-'05 MY) use the same block. The LBZ and LMM ('06-'10 MY) use the same block and the LML ('11-current MY) has a different block. The LBZ/LMM and LML blocks are supposed to be stronger, but a lot of race builds use and LB7 block for whatever reason. Most parts on the Duramax engines are interchangeable.

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-04-2014, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome, thanks for the quick response.

So are the internal timings different between the LB7 and LMM? he did mention that there were 2 different blocks but the only difference is 1 extra bolt on the front cover... I'm no diesel mechanic, I just work the office in the shops, used to run the small engine shop here till they needed my skills elsewhere. He also said there was pretty much only 1 cam for the 6.6..does that hold true?

I'm planning on calling the dealer again this morning to verify, and have more than my theories to show the guy that he may have given us the wrong engine... he was pretty stern saying" I have sold over 1000 6.6 duramax's and never have heard of such a thing... lol

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
Old 09-04-2014, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDL77 View Post
I'm no diesel mechanic
Neither am I. I'd recommend you visit one (or more) of these sites. They'll help you out and be able to answer your questions a lot more thoroughly than I can. A lot of good info to search through too.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/index.php?
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Get the air out of the injection system and it'll run. Most any decent shop should have Alldata online that'll give you the step-by-step procedure for purging/priming the fuel system.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We got it going... The mechanic doing the repower forgot to transfer the pickup plate for the cam sensor.. fun stuff.

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"