Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2003, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Telemarketing

Does anyone use telemarketing to generate business & how effective has it been for you?
Old 03-28-2003, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't use it but will be putting it into effect in the next couple of weeks. I have a automated system that I will put into use.

I will keep you posted.

Adrian
Old 03-28-2003, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yo, I thought automated dialing systems were illegal. Check the Telecommunications Act of 1991. It is either 91 or 92. Unless something changed, you can't make commercial solicitations that way. It is for non-profit orgs and politicians. I believe your exposure is $500 per violation.

The act also covers fax broadcasting. You can't do that either unless you have a pre-existing business relationship with the person being faxed. And I know for sure the exposure is $500 per violation.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

telemarketing

I call good neighborhoods that I know.

Be polite and keep it quick.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know about other states, but in MA they have a new law that all telemarketers must purchase a state do not call list and must make sure they do not call any numbers on the list.

Last I heard there were over 800,000 households that have signed up for the do not call list. I don't know the fine for not adhering to the list, but I've heard it's a big one.
www.RobsonIndustries.net
Old 03-29-2003, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't advise telemarketing. People just don't like telemarketers, and there's way too many of them already. I think your repsonse rate would be much better just going from door-to-door and talking to people that way, especially since it will be ovbious if the lawn needs mowing. You can say "I have my equipment with me, and I'll do it right now for X dollars." I haven't actually tried this, but I plan on it, because I was given this advice recently by another small service business owner. I think it works well because people are impatient. A customer just told me that they called one of my competitors first, but they were told they had to wait 2 weeks, so they kept looking.

Toro 21" w/ Suzuki
John Deer 14ST
Troy Built Tuff Cut 210
Echo GT200R trimmer
Echo PB200 blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT

"Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death."

Anais Nin
Old 03-29-2003, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

telemarketing....I havent done it yet but just think about how many businesses have been built with it.Sure I hate those people calling me at home but you can get alot of responce out if it,I say go for it and tell us how it works out. Dont listen to that negative stuff there saying im sure they just dont know about the services as much as they think.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Well,

I am going to try it anyways. Being that i have an $8000 telemarketing machine already. I have very little to lose.

Even if the response rate is .0001 it does not cost much for every call and it does it day in and day out.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Adrian
Old 03-29-2003, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure your approach could make a difference in the success of your telemarketing. I used to do telemarketing for a large company and I thought they were too pushy. When somebody calls me with an offer, it makes me mad if I tel them no, and they keep pushing it. And that's what most telemarketers do. So even if I was considering buying a product, I would not buy from a pushy salesperson. If I was going to telemarket my service I might offer a time-limited special, but I would give the customer a chance to think about it and call me back. I've never tried this, so in all fariness I guess I can't tell you it won't work.

Toro 21" w/ Suzuki
John Deer 14ST
Troy Built Tuff Cut 210
Echo GT200R trimmer
Echo PB200 blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT

"Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death."

Anais Nin
Old 03-29-2003, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

JustaLawn guy,

You are right the telecommunications act prohibits it but it has been ammended and atleast in Texas they have some guidelines that you need to follow and of course a PERMIT$$$$ that you need to get.

The DoNotCall list must be followed unless you are in a business that is licensed by the state ie Insurance and so forth. IF you are licensed by the sate you can still call these numbers on the DoNotCall list.

Just thought you guys might want to know.

Adrian