Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-20-2003, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

What Kind of Education

I'm only 17, but I've always had a small "lawn care" business of my own. I was curious as to what types of classes I should be taking to prepare me for owning a landscaping business in the future. I've heard a lot of different suggestions, but I'm not quite sure what the real story is. Thanks.

Tanner
Old 03-20-2003, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
start out in horticulture, found out your true interest, and specialize!
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 03-21-2003, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I already know that I'm more interested in the physical part of the job. The mowing, trimming, planting, etc. I've just heard that to make the big money, you need to be educated in EVERYTHING. Is that true?
Old 03-21-2003, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Tanner,
I am currently going after a business degree w/ a concentration in marketing. I am more into home repair (decks, basement, bath/kitchen redo) than lawn, but I think any business background would be helpful.

I am currently doing a basement for a Dr. that owns a family practice. He said his regret is that med school does not teach you how to run a business.

Joe
Old 03-21-2003, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

try this thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=education
Old 03-22-2003, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a degree in Chemistry. It is great for being able to look at a problem and figure it out. I also have a minor in business, which has been by far the biggest factor in improving business. I am 23. I just bought a duplex and am looking for more houses. I love mowing lawns and plan on a lawn chemical company in the future. Right now the chemical company I work for pays too much to leave - plus insurance. However, I feel held back. I can't grow as fast as I want to. But I can save until I feel ready to go out on my own and start a business. I am definitely getting my MBA. Anyone interested in a partnership....? Live in PA near Youngstown/Sharon.

Nate
Old 03-28-2003, 02:40 AM
Banned

I would have to second what Tim said. Start out with horticulture, then find out what you like and take it from there. You can do just fine without a formal education in this business, however if you do go for your education, you become a LOT more attractive to certain types of clients who will pay the $$$ for your time. That, and if you want to go out and work for somebody after you get your degree, you are that much more marketable. Which means that you would be working with higher class companies because they are the only ones who can really afford you. Think about where you want to be 10, 15, 20 years down the road. Do you want to be installing plants into the ground yourself? Or do you want to be the one who gets paid to do the designs, and then has people do the actual installs?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Regardless of what you get a degree in, take a lot of business classes. Learn the biz side if you want to succeed.