Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2003, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

pricing in west michigan

i've been in business for 5 years and would like to know if there is a rule of thumb for pricing a job, for mowing, i can do the landscaping allright, but pricing mowing makes me stumble.

do i charge the weathly customers more? the way i do it now is to think how long it will take with my mower's, but what i would like to know is there a formual i could use?

thanks
Old 03-29-2003, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have been in business for 5 years, this seems to be a silly question.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, now for an answer to your question. It really depends on the area you're doing, the cosof what it takes you to run your equip., and the labor factors involved (amount of trimming, access, etc.) A good one to ask, would be Tom, (Greenquest). He is iver there on your side of the state. Here, where I'm at, the standard subdivision lot (1/2 acre), goes from 30 to 45 per cut, (this is what I get), but I've seen them done for as low as 25 a cut for regular customers. That too cheap, and no money is made on these. What I mean by regular customers, is not repeated customers, as they ALL are on a year after year continued clientele basis, but people who are working and aren't viable for any discounts. Now, the 30 cuts that I do, are like senior citizens, that have been with me for awhile, and they don't really get any price increase on the regular mowing. I hope this helps, and good luck to ya. And by the way, I don't know what you run for mowers, but just because you graduate to a bigger and/or faster mower, does NOT mean you can afford to do it cheaper.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.