Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2003, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Power Broom

Weds I picked up my new Stihl FS85 Split shaft w/the rubber paddle broom,Man I can't understand how I ever could have operated with out it,This thing is a God send for brooming stones and gravel out of the yard,I had one customer that seen how nice of a job it did, He called later that day a told me to go to his sisters and clean her up and he would take care of the bill.
To some of you that are considering a power broom go out and get one ,you won't regret it.
The Solution To All Your Lawn & Garden Needs
Old 03-30-2003, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey- Thanks for this post, I just posted asking which was better, rubber or bristle, and almost all said rubber paddle, now you say this, and I am thinking that I definately need to go buy one this week. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got the split shaft for all the other attachments that you can get ,90 Degree hedge trimmer,sidewalk edger,chain saw. The string trimmer is included.
The Solution To All Your Lawn & Garden Needs
Old 03-30-2003, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have the the powerbroom attachment for my split shaft echo.... and i know what you mean about not doing without it. mine has the bristles instead of the paddles. i was curious if anybody has tried both the paddles and the bristled one... and the advantages of each. my thinking is that the paddles wouldnt do as well getting sand out of the grass... but would work better on solid surfaces. definately worth the investment no matter which broom type you get.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
i have the the powerbroom attachment for my split shaft echo.... and i know what you mean about not doing without it. mine has the bristles instead of the paddles. i was curious if anybody has tried both the paddles and the bristled one... and the advantages of each. my thinking is that the paddles wouldnt do as well getting sand out of the grass... but would work better on solid surfaces. definately worth the investment no matter which broom type you get.

We have both...the paddle-type is much better on getting the stone, dirt, sand, etc., out of the grass. The bristle-type is harder to use and not as easy on the lawn. The paddle-type IMHO far outweighs the bristle one.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: Power Broom

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawn-N-Garden Guy
Weds I picked up my new Stihl FS85 Split shaft w/the rubber paddle broom,Man I can't understand how I ever could have operated with out it,This thing is a God send for brooming stones and gravel out of the yard,I had one customer that seen how nice of a job it did, He called later that day a told me to go to his sisters and clean her up and he would take care of the bill.
To some of you that are considering a power broom go out and get one ,you won't regret it.
Yep I agree! I just bought the same unit, Stihl KW Power Broom last Thursday for my Stihl FS85. Paddle type. I used it for the first time on Friday and man, these thing is unbelievable! I think I fell in love with it. With the heavy snow we are having this winter, there are alot of gravel on grass from snowplowing. It sweeped the gravel effortless back onto the driveway without damaging the lawn at all. It definitely will be making spring clean up much much easier. I can clean up the gravel on grass in much less time. The old method by using rake takes forever, is labor intensive, and only could get half of gravel off grass. The power broom sweeped off all gravel it could find, well, not every pebbles but maybe missed a pebble or two. It is an AWESOME unit! I am SOOO HAPPY that I bought it. I wish that I had bought it sooner. Do not hesistate to buy one of these Stihl power broom unit. You will be happy you did.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just a little helpful hint in using these things....

If you have quite a bit of area to do, especially real long strips and/or ditches, a good thing to do (I don't know if you can do this with the split shaft, or not), but what I do, is mount the broom head upside-down, so then you can just pull it. For real long strips, this is great, because you just keep the unit angled a bit, to have sort of a "plowing" effect. When pullin it, there is so little resistance, that it is easier than pulling a rake over the grass. The thing about it is, in one stroke, that path is done. On ditches, it's great, because rather than have to "Push" it upwards, you can just stand at the top, and drag it toward you. I've found this to work excellent, and with hardly any effort at all. Another thing is, these things work best if they are run on 1'4 to about 1'3 throttle, for most applications. For the heavier stuff, you can rev it right up, though.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Runner- Thanks for the tip, I was worried cause it seemed kinda heavy, and actually saw some town guys using theirs your way the other day and wondered. The ditch thing especially, sounds a lot easier.