Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-05-2000, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is my story. We were doing a trenching job for drain tile. We had done most of the trenching the day before, then had a huge storm which lasted into the next day. Anyway, we were loading the 3 ton trencher onto the trailer connected to our parked Dodge 3500 which was sitting, pointing down the rain soaked hill. Needless to say, as the trencher went up the ramps, the front of the trailer put enough lifting power on the trailer ball that the back of the truck lifted enough to start skidding 8 feet down the hill. One employee jumped into the truck and jumped on brakes and emergency brake. Can't imagine what would have happened. Just remember to get big machines onto the trailers before the truck has time to start moving.
Old 09-05-2000, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You are very lucky. Buy that employee dinner!

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 09-05-2000, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A deal like that happened down the street from my house one day. They had a single axle dump with a trailer on the back pointed down the hill on asphalt. When they went to run a D-3 up on the trailer it lifted the rear tires of the dump and the whole kit-n-kabootle rolled about 40 feet down the hill and turned over into a drainage ditch. What a mess. Police, tow trucks etc..

Old 09-05-2000, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe not over loading is the place to start...

When the piece of machinery you are loading on the trailer is lifting the back of the tow unit up ( regardless, of up hill, down hill or flat)that far off, it is overloading plain and simple. I don't care how big the trailer is, axle GVW's, if it does that it's too damn heavy. You must haul the equipment correctly, on properly rated trailers, towed by properly weighted tow vehicles and LOADED on flat surfaces. Even if you have to road it. COMPANY POLICY.

I would take a serious look at the hitch setup and height, to start with. Then review your operating procedures with your operators, ( I would think they have a clue maybe??)

So what your saying is drive them up fast before the under rated vehicle gets away???

The personal injury attorneys would have your business in a heart beat.

Landscape Contractor
Landscape Specialty Services
Forest Grove, OR
Old 09-05-2000, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

what you need to do is weld brackets on bottom of ramps in a"U" shape so front of trailer can only lift 3 to 4 inches. you are not alawys over loading . take a good look at a construction trailer design on ramps.
Old 09-05-2000, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The employee is lucky. A 46-year old local woman was killed Thursday, she attempted to get in her car which started rolling, slipped, the open door knocked her beneath the wheels. Not an open casket deal, if you get my drift.

Be careful guys.
Old 09-05-2000, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My buddy did that, he was by himself, guess what stopped him. A new camaro!!
Old 09-06-2000, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, update on that story. The whole truck wheels did not lift off the ground. The thing was that the pressure on the back of the trailer took enough weight off of the wheels to allow the truck to slid about six feet becuase the road was still soaked with rain and slick.
Old 09-06-2000, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Turfman,relax,and where did you ever come up with your theory?I load my tractor/backhoe onto my 5 ton trailer,it weighs 5400 lbs,it will pick the back of my truck right off the ground if i dont stuff a 6x6 under the rear of the trailer before I load.According to you im overloaded,how do you figure,My trailer is 2100,tractor,5400 total towed load is 7500 with 6700 on axles,and 800 on hitch.I weighed this at Certified scales before i bought the trailer to be safe.My tow vehicle is either an old Chevy C30 dump truck with a 12000 lb tow rating or my Dodge /Cummins Ram with a 10000 lb rating.Please tell me how Im overloaded?They both tow the little tractor easily,even on rough roads or in winds.
Old 09-07-2000, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

What are your axles rated at ? If they are 3500# axles, then you are overloaded.What is your combined GVW of the truck trailer and payload ?? If it's 12,000 as the GM 30 series is I believe, then your truck must only weight 4500 total with no load. If it's the Dodge, then your saying it weights only 2,500#. Rated towing capacity and GVW are two totally different things. Most rated tow capacities, like equipment specs is usually BS. GVW is the only thing that counts at the scale and when the weightmaster stops you.

When I load the backhoe on a single axle dump truck on a tandem axle dual wheel trailer, the back of the truck does not come off the ground.If the back of the truck is coming off the ground, the vehicle weight is wrong, the hitch mechanisim is wrong, something is wrong. That is not a safe operation.

Landscape Contractor
Landscape Specialty Services
Forest Grove, OR