Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2003, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Spring Clean-up vs Fall Clean-up

Im trying to cut my costs just like everyone else but also make the customer feel like there getting a whole lot for nothing. I am going to try this on a couple of props this year, Im going to charge a little extra for Spring clean-up, and because I use Walkers and now a Lazer, and we bag in the spring and fall mulch in the summer, so were sucking up the leaves and everything each week so there is not a big build up of leaves, not charging for Fall clean up. What do you guys think? Other fall services are priced on the service so thats not included in the fall clean up price. If there are more leaves that fall after you stop mowing you just go mow anyway and charge for another mow. So you are not really leaving any money on the table. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Thomas Payne said, ďWhat we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly.Ē

Itís only human nature. So in my opinion, your plan is a mistake. Whatever you do for "free" will not be appreciated as something extra. Your extra work will become expected. That is a losing proposition.

I have a target $/hr and then over-estimate how long the job will take. I'm pretty good at guessing how long a regular mowing will take, but TERRIBLE at estimating Cleanup times. If it's a large Cleanup, I'll show the customer why its impossible to guess, tell them an hourly rate for "Cleanups" and say I'll work for 3 hours (or whatever) and then get their approval if more is needed.

Itís not about making money. This is about making a PROFIT! Profit on mowing, cleanups, overseeding, hedge trimming, EVERYTHING. If the customer doesn't appreciate that, you are letting them take advantage of you, and youíre literally wasting your time.

You said, <b>"Im trying to cut my costs just like everyone else but also make the customer feel like there getting a whole lot for nothing."</b> This is total nonsense and the heart of the problem. Your attitude is all wrong. Additionally, youíre poisoning your customerís attitude with this notion of <b>ďa whole lot for nothing.Ē</b> Think PROFIT. Bud, when you're older, or hurt, or sick, whatever, you have to have a rainy-day fund and that will never happen with your whole-lot-for-nothing attitude. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

Last edited by Bluesteel; 04-01-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since additional cleanups net me more per hour than mowing, I'd be an idiot to do something like you've stated.

I guess if YOU think it will work for your arrangement, go ahead.

I disagree with your theory of "a whole lot for nothing", because it doesn't exist in life. Although there are some people that are penny wise and dollar dumb and fall for this line of thinking.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

You really are not giving anything for nothing but the customer thinks they are saving money cause you can legitamly explain why you dont need to do a fall clean up. Again it is mind set, you really are not doing anything for nothing but the customer thinks that you are treating them fairer than others would. Again other services normally done in the fall our priced above and beyond a fall clean up price. I understand that it sound a little odd but If you can get the price you need to get (including a good profit margin) and the customer thinks your treating them fair and you are doing a professional, awesome job than I think it would work. It is just a play on words, and putting the costs in a different way.