Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-25-2003, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I have run into the same problem. Per my talk with local NYS DEC guy you can apply all the fertilizer you like, However once it contains and Herbicide or pesticide you need a license. So that means no Fert with broad leaf weed control same way withe fert plus grub control. Hell you can't even use Roundup without a license.

Here is a number for one of the state offices that handles applicator licenses. (518)402-8748 (DEC Central Office)

Base costs that I can remember
$50 for exam
$350 for Category(Lawn, Home, Industrial) Good for 5yrs
$450 fir Business Registration good for 3yrs

Here is a link to the web page that has tons of info for you
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/

This one specifically deals with certification.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/certification/index.html

To me the cost were prohibitive since I don't have a huge call for fert programs, however when I do have a client that wants it I sub it out to another applicator. I figure when I have some more cash I will get the certifications then push them.

hope that helps,
Ron

(Note these prices were from a couple of years ago so they may be off)
Old 04-25-2003, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Day off?

Hell Bob I have had clean ups out the ying! I have been relegated to using my 21" Husqvarna to get me by while my mowers are in the shop. My John Deere needed a part and the dealer ordered the wrong one. and my Scag also needed a special order part for the operator presence switch. Most of the problem is my fault, I waited to long before I brought them in for their spring tune up. Things were so busy around here plowing and moving snow that I put them on the back burner and now I am paying for it. I really hope this weather gets back on track because I am looking to make a good chunk of change his year if don't have nay major problems.

Ron
Old 04-25-2003, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Work

Ron
I had my nose back on the grindstone today, what a beauty, got one of my large lawns completed the only hitch was a patch of what I call snot weed (star of bethelem) what a mess that stuff is.
Lawn next to this one (mine also) has the other half of the patch so my trusty Toro will get all slimey again next week.
Sunday the wife and I are taking a tour (bus) on the Fingerlakes wine trail, That ought to be a hoot (wife likes wine) I will just sit back and watch..
Later
Bob Rowe

Old 04-26-2003, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Ron,

Thanks for all the info. The costs are prohibitive. I may do some ferts for special customers, but make it plain, no herbicide or pesticide.

Ice clean-ups have been good, but the lawns are starting to stiffen up so it will be time to walk patterns in the grass soon.

Bob
Old 05-03-2003, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Done with all but 2 new cleanups. I took a 30 day leave of absence from my other job, hope it is a permanent one. Bob R, I have e-mailed you twice with no reply. Are you getting them? I'm from Fulton County as you already know. I have a ton of work to do this month, so I hope it is a dry month. Lawns, driveway install, lawn installs,fence install, and some other work. I hope I can make this work full time.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

NYRookie

OOPS - no email, I have a filter in place that blocks all but my 'friends list', just couldn't tolerate the 80 or so junk mails each day.. Retry an e-mail with the Subject of 'Hi Bob' and I will set the filter to let it through. Networking is great (unless some dummy blocks the communication).
BobR

Old 05-12-2003, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

May 12 and rain

Looks like we are going to have a few days of unscheduled down time - RAIN - RAIN - RAIN and just when the lawns were getting cranked up..
Spent the day reorganizing the trailer and some general clean up.
BobR

Old 05-12-2003, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I spent half the day hauling rubble for a driveway install. At least I have a couple of things I can do in the rain. Thanks to 2 buddies, I got caught up Saturday on my mowing. This rain really does suck. Got 2 cleanups to do tommorrow and I'm done with them. Also found a little leak on my tractor today, guess I can tighten that up inbetween the rain showers. Sure do hope I kick this bug soon, my wife does too because she is pregnant and she can't take any antibiotics.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Anybody mowing in the rain? I just changed all the belts on my mower and was in the middle of changing the blades when a monsoon came through. Boy do I need to build that garage soon. How is everyone keeping up with thier lawns? I will be behind by the weekend if this rain does not stop. Supposed to do 2 topsoil jobs this week. Guess that aint happening.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I should be out mowing right now. We have sun right now. There were showers this morning. I think I will wait until tomorrow to give the properties a chance to dry before I drive on them.

I did put out some fliers today.

Bob