Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-03-2003, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys, just thought I would drop a line to say hi and introduce myself. I just went full time in the business this spring( formerly a Verizon employee) did it for several years down near Saratoga- worked in the mountains above Coxsackie NY. Now I'm living UPSTATE in Oswego county- you want to talk snow!!!!! This winter/ spring seemed liek it would never end!! I fell behind when we had our late ice storm, and I have been playing catch up ever since. Just when I get almost caught up it starts to rain and sets me back again. I shouldn't complain too much though since I have not done ANY advertising and I cannot keep up with the referalls or work. We are a small minority owned company( it's in my wifes name) but got so busy we had to bring in my brother and his girlfriend to keep up with the work. Now I have to adjust my labor rates and compensate for the extra laborers. Any help on what you guys charge on a per hr/acre basis would be greatly appreciated. I have been surfing the site when ever I can and have found it extremely helpful.

Here's a brief description of what we offer-
Lawn maintenence
Brick pavers
Retaining walls
Tree care and removal
Hardscaping
SNow removal- tough area to work in though! (LOL!)

We want to offer ponds and other services as well- but need to slow my construction company down and concentrate more on the green side of things.

Sorry to babble- long week(s) catching up with me.

Oh BTW I'm also an EMT with the local Vol Fire Deparment and drive for our local AMbulance Corps as well, and I'm a member of the counties all volunteer Hazardous Materials Response Team- all things I do in my "spare" time!!

Hope to hear back from every one soon!!

Bill from
CNY Property Services
West Monroe NY
Oswego County- Snow Capital!! LOL
Old 08-03-2003, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Suspension Seat

Hello Shawn, I went with the HP because of the properties I maintain (lots of landscaping), yes I purchased it at Emrich Equipment (great service when it is needed), I added the suspenson package to an already comfortable seat and would recommend it to any one, If you would like to try it just give me a call (upgrade took about an hour).
BobR

Old 08-13-2003, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello guys, from upstate NY. I appear to be fairly close to Bob R in saratoga. We are located in Washington County, in the town of Granville, NY.We're not a big business, we run around 25 accounts plus my full time job.Currently using exmark walkbehinds, Husqvarna trimmers, stihl and echo blowers, and chevy trucks. Good to see this many guys on here from upstate NY.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome JRC LAWNCARE - I have a feeling that a lot of folks that visit this site are from our area or at least from New York, Thanks for identifying yourself and enjoy 'LawnSite' lots of good information here.
I myself only have 20 accounts (two of which are commercial) and that keeps me out of trouble and allows me to get a lot of lawn toys (wife says 'too much stuff') but we all know that you never have enough tools.
BobR

Old 08-14-2003, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobR
Welcome JRC LAWNCARE - I have a feeling that a lot of folks that visit this site are from our area or at least from New York, Thanks for identifying yourself and enjoy 'LawnSite' lots of good information here.
I myself only have 20 accounts (two of which are commercial) and that keeps me out of trouble and allows me to get a lot of lawn toys (wife says 'too much stuff') but we all know that you never have enough tools.
BobR
LOL, love those new lawn toys. We are using the exmark turf tracers as our primary mowers now. Would'nt mind a z, but most of our props , a z would'nt work out ( hills). Just recently got the pb650 echo blower, using the br-400 as a back-up and when I have additional help in the fall doing leaves. We'll put the truck loader right to work when fall gets here. What a labor saver that is. Compaction rate is awesome, I dump the one ton when it's full once a day.Busy year so far, later. John A...
Old 08-15-2003, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi John
Have been putting together a leaf system that will be tried for the first time this year (have been using PB 650 and mowers with powered collection units) for the truck I have a collection box that attaches to the 'Truck Craft' dump insert, a Billy Goat 16 hp self propelled leaf blower, Echo PB650 and a Billy Goat 23 hp leaf loader plus an Ultra Vac for the Z. Will be interesting to see if it works or if I just spent a bunch of bucks needlessly.
Lawns are waiting.
BobR

Old 08-15-2003, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Welcome JRC. I am from Fulton County. I too run about 20 accounts and work a full time job. 8 of them are commercial accounts. I also do tractor work, concrete and landscaping. I hope to go full time next year. Been very busy for me also, got rid of 7 accounts this year because they were undesirables and I could not keep up with them all. Well got to go, talk to you later.
Shawn
Old 08-31-2003, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Bill,

Welcome to LS. I am a fellow Oswego countian (does that look right?). I live a little North of the Square. Most of my business is in Onondaga Co.

As far as price. Figure out what your costs are and charge accordingly. I do not worry about what others charge. I charge what I feel I need to make money on a property if I get it fine, if not fine. I know I am high compared to others, but I try to give more service.

You have a good spread of services and it sounds like you are busy, keep up the good work.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 09-02-2003, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello, from the SW corner of Onondaga Cnty. I've been enjoying this site for several weeks, figured I oughtta finally sign up and say something. The lawn business will be new for me. Plan to slowly break into it as part time work.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome "Old Red", as you have seen and will see there is lots of good information to be had on this site also a healthy pile of BS and bickering but you can weed that out real quick. Starting off 'part time' is very popular as it allows you to get your feet wet without breaking the bank.
BobR