Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2003, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Rain Bird ESP-6si

This is going to sound stupid, but oh well. I am working with a Rain Bird ESP-6si. I installed a 7th zone and would rather not go out and buy an 8 zone unit just to have a 6 zone unit go to waste. I opened the unit and noticed the same board is used for the 6si and 8si. Is there anyway to modify the board to allow a 7th zone? Are there schematics for these units anywhere on the web? Thanks in advance.

Turbokj
Old 04-02-2003, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Having designed and fabricated many PC (printed circuit) boards in the past. I will go out on a limb and say it is very doubtful that you will find schematics or enough detailed information to make the proper changes. And playing around or guessing could destroy the board, probably not worth the risk.

However, companies always look for ways to cut costs so the chances of having one PC board do multiple tasks are pretty high. An inquisitive soul might compare the two boards and look for jumper settings, dip switch settings or a missing component. But most likely, itíll be an EPROM or other device that must be reprogrammed or installed. And the components today (SMD) are very small. Good luck.

Rick
Old 04-02-2003, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

The board is definitely used for the 8si, as there are spaces for two more transistors and MOV's. I installed the additional transistor and MOV, but there is one area that has three jumpers. One is jumped right now, while the other two are not. I think this is where they control whether the EPROM thinks the board is a 4, 6 or 8 controller unit. For cost reasons alone, I would think they all use the same components, just a jumper difference. Thanks for you insight.

Turbokj