Register free!

Old 04-02-2003, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you averaging per 1000sq. ft for apps??

I got a call from an existing customer that a friend wanted a price on a 30,000 square/ft flat lawn. I never really figured out the price per square foot and was just wondering what the average was.

(I know I can just divide my price by the square footage, but wanted to compare to other companies.)
Old 04-03-2003, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

$12 per k.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow...Im pretty low. Im averaging 4.50 to 5.00 per thousand.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The more I think about it there is no way I can tell a new customer a 30,000 sq. ft lawn would be $360 per application!! Is this the going rate now??
Old 04-03-2003, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

our price $155

thats $4.50 per k and we add on a $20 service fee.

Sorry bobbygedd, but $12 per k????? dont think so, at least not per app, perhaps you are saying per seasonal program?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We're not even CLOSE to that in Michigan. WAY lower.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Connecticut I charge from $ 4 to $5.5 per K depending on yard size with min. price of $ 40.00.

Rob
Old 04-03-2003, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbygedd
$12 per k.
I believe it. NJ has the highest ins rates in the country. Lot of money in those McMansions through out Jersey.
I get $149 for 30m in central PA
Old 04-03-2003, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
I think the price per / 1000 would depend on many factors. But lets assume we are just talking about cost of material .

wouldn't we need to know his program!

Everybody doesn't have the same program!!!!!!

Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 04-03-2003, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbygedd
$12 per k.

$12.00 is not out of the ball park here in Florida. In Fact I get more than that because of a minim charge on Small lots big houses and water front property.

Going price by Big boys is about $10.00 per Thousand. However here in God's waiting room Our customer have nothing to do and all day to do it. Watching grass grow is a favorite pass time among retirees.

Three things are required to keep up with the Jones. 1.) Clear blue swimming pool water that is never entered. 2.) Two Boats, one big (35 ft or bigger) one small (16 to 20 ft) on Lifts above the water and never lowered. 3.) The darkest greenest grass on the Block.

Now before you pack your bags to head south, better know some other facts. Florida is the bug capital of America and our soil has a CEC of less than 5, and our pH is 8.5. Calcareous Sand is not the easiest to grow High quality turf or ornamentals. Water quality is not the best and even poor quality water is expensive. There are as many Lawn Spray companies as grass cutters and the Florida certification test is the hardest in the nation. Therefore our higher prices does not mean high margin. With a lower Stock Market the number of people willing to spend the money for Premium Yard Care is dropping. There our only a few neighborhoods where upscale work is sell-able and you had better believe they are Spammed all the time.

Yes our prices are higher, so is our chemical cost. Also you got to know your onions if you want to be competitive. I just bought out a guy from Mass. who was here for two years. He claimed he did very well in Mass. I believe him because of the way he lived here, House, Equipment Etc. He was working off a rent-a-licenses. He went back north with his tail between his leg. He is a member here at lawn site but just reads and doesn't post. Last I talked with him he was very happy to be back north in time for snow plowing.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.