Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-05-2003, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You new guys crack me up!!!

Jeeze, you new guys here at Lawnsite are starting to confuse me. In one thread you want us to tell you how to run your business and in another thread you're complaining because we're giving all of the secrets away. Make up my mind.

P.S. I have a whole pocket full of secrets that span the entire business from getting customers to making maintenance easier on your machines and I ain't telling no one.

And for all of those guys who said that a rude responce was the way to handle complaints about walking on the neighbors lawn.

BBZZZTTT

Wrong way to handle it.

Only a complete moron would get rude with a potential customer who could easily give you good or BAD Good Will otherwise known as Word Of Mouth for the uneducated. The solution is simple, STAY OFF OF THEIR PROPERTY.

Jeeze.

Old 04-05-2003, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i give out info.should we give out secrets no.but theres plenty of work out there and i don't mind offering the new guy some info.it helps them to compete with us.so they won't low ball things.
but yeah there are some on here that i wouldn't give them the hair of my
Old 04-05-2003, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

richard, i have a feeling one of my replies prompted this thread. to make things clear on this subject, to give out a minimal amount of info, i believe is harmless. ex: my pricing structure for fert programs. most lawn boys are not licensed to apply, so that eliminates most of the competition. 2nd, the ones that are licensed are very cheap, so thier customers are accustomed to paying low prices, they could never sell programs for 30-40% more than they have been. so, what harm have i done. also, it is fact, teaching your competition to be a pro is to dig your own grave. the guy around the corner has been in business 30 yrs. when i was starting out, he gave me alot of good advice, from dealing with customers, to using equipment properly, to different strategies on alot of things. well, guess what, he now wants to expand, and i am one more obstacle in his way. we get calls from the same potential clients, and thanx to his great teachings, and a little i added myself, i get most of the work. so how did he benefit from sharing his hard earned experience with me? he didnt benefit!actually the best thing he could have done, was to let the wear and tear i was experiencing run its course, and watch me sink. he would have been much better off. now, sharing info with a guy that lives in tennesee is another thing, he could never hurt me.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Simply Amazin'
Old 04-05-2003, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

aint i? hmmm, i love rainy days
Old 04-05-2003, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If a guy came up to me screaming about getting off his lawn while my employee was blowing off the leaves "away" from his lawn, I would have told him in a very direct and firm manner to go pound sand. I don't put up with the "alpha Male" bull anymore. And I don't worry about what some contol freak says about my company. People like that usually are not taken very seriously by normal, polite, and responsible people. And people like that are usually all talk and no action. Then I would notify my customer about the rude neighbor and my response to him.

Mueller Landscape Inc.
jmlandscp@cox.net
Old 04-05-2003, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with you Mueller. Love your "Alpha male" characterization.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbygedd
richard, i have a feeling one of my replies prompted this thread. to make things clear on this subject, to give out a minimal amount of info, i believe is harmless. .................now, sharing info with a guy that lives in tennesee is another thing, he could never hurt me.
Tell me more, I'm listening.
Crawdad
Old 04-05-2003, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

bobbygedd,
No, it wasn't your post that motivated me to make this thread. I have a great deal of respect for you and read your posts knowing that I will learn something new every time I do.

Old 04-05-2003, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It just doesn't matter..............

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Martin
.P.S. I have a whole pocket full of secrets that span the entire business from getting customers to making maintenance easier on your machines and I ain't telling no one.
Hey, I'm not sure if the above is just a joke or not. However, from what I see, it really doesn't matter if you offer secrets in the form of a better way, better equipment to use or a better technique, because most of the guy's here will continue to use what they like. Second, "I do" offer secrets/better ways I've found and 80% of this group lacks ability to grasp them. In other words; “It just doesn’t matter”…………….
Pete