Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2003, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

How many of you are in the same market area? Probably not many so advice to "competition" would't normally apply because your not in the same market.

The thing I wonder about is how many of your customers look at this site and get info about other people's rates and think it can carry forward to their marketplace resulting in your customers wanting to shop around for the prices they saw lowballers posting here. Or maybe I'm just paranoid
Old 04-06-2003, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Switchless wrote:

it really doesn't matter if you offer secrets in the form of a better way, better equipment to use or a better technique, because most of the guy's here will continue to use what they like.

Yes, I know. The worst part is people will acknowledge that something else is better and still continue to do it the harder or less efficient way simply because that the way they've always done it.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Martin
Yes, I know. The worst part is people will acknowledge that something else is better and still continue to do it the harder or less efficient way simply because that the way they've always done it.
Rich,
And that still doesn't bother me However, what does is the mentality of those that attempt to impart this stupid, yes stupid rationalization to others. And, even sadder is those that accept it
Pete
Old 04-06-2003, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Richard,

Im one of the new guys and I agreed with whoever said 'not to give away trade secrets' online.

Yet, I dont need anyone to run my business, nor have I ever complained to an online forum.

I stated: "Take heed" and agreed with his stand. I dont think in business its the smartest thing to give away trade secrets to those competing with you, particularly online. If there wasnt so much grass out there, I just think, this principle of business would more aptly apply.

On the other hand. I subscibe to the forum. I enjoying trying to give, which is very little and I enjoy taking what information I can get. I feel a sense of brotherhood (though im guessing it used to be stronger). Ive asked questions and have been helped. I enjoy the demonstration of temperments and little quarrals, as well as the insights from experienced veterans. I thinks SAdams is sincere and if I came across a problem i could e-mail guys like: Hoss, Lewis,... dozens of others, including yourself. All would try their best to respond. Oh well......

Its good you know occassionally, after a hard day, Ive been known to crack a "FEW" and get on to LS, so if my posts are pompous, or I say "Dick...I Love You" ...just bear with me or apply the whole 'grain of salt' thing.

Thanks for understanding..
Old 04-06-2003, 09:12 PM
Banned

Re: You new guys crack me up!!!

Quote:
[B And for all of those guys who said that a rude responce was the way to handle complaints about walking on the neighbors lawn.

BBZZZTTT

Wrong way to handle it.

Only a complete moron would get rude with a potential customer who could easily give you good or BAD Good Will otherwise known as Word Of Mouth for the uneducated. The solution is simple, STAY OFF OF THEIR PROPERTY.

Jeeze. [/B]
You see Richard, I started my own business so I can run it the way I see fit and not have to take some irrational idiots ****.
If you're a door mat and let people walk all over you, that's your problem.
BTW, does it hurt to walk with your tail in that position?
Old 04-07-2003, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No one walks over me. If the next door neighbor asks or tells you to stay off of his property what is the harm in doing as he asks? I'm don't know about where you live but here a person is subject to arrest for trespassing if he goes on property he has been told to stay off of.

I think it is just as easy not to be confrontational with a potential customer.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Yup, every pain in the rear is another potential customer. I don't let my "macho" side getting in the way of making money
Old 04-07-2003, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

well the secretes i have, will come toum ,if they are faced with
similar wk,over time.most would not comprehend why i do things my way anyway.i have found that every thing i read on lawnsite, just dont fit my market and operation.yep ive found a few things that bring better results in all phases of the lco buisiness. ill reveal if it makes the job easier ,but not if it produces results that reflect my years of experience at getting better results.these things ,i hope separate me from the beginner. and to pick them up ,i think a fella needs to pay his dues.
having said that,i still keep an eye for helpful info here.
theres a lot of oldtimers out there that have a great deal
of knowledge.a lot never operated a walk behind or ztr. but their wk is excellent.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Agreed, do not go out of your way to lose a client.

First impressions are usually the best.

So when a neighbor comes outside and is screaming about a petty incursion onto their hollowed ground, my impression is this will never be a customer. And if they decide to personally insult me with vulgarity, I will ensure that they will never consider me as well
Old 04-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Banned

An irrational whacko that flips out over someone STEPPING on their lawn is NOT a potential customer!. I don't want them.

Are you guys kidding me?!? Someone that comes out cursing at you becuase you simply STEPPED on their lawn, you consider that a "potential customer" LOL!
They're all yours fellas! LOL! I want nothing to do with them.

Unbelievable.