Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2003, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where do I start?

When I first started mowing residential, I didn't want to mess with fertilizing or weed control. Customers constantly ask me for help to improve the lawn, however, and I constantly find lawns that could look alot better. Most of the lawns I have right now have thin, yellowish St. Augustine grass (which seems to be the most common grass around here) and lots of weeds. There's a few neighborhoods that have Bermuda.

In response to people asking for help I made flyers advertising pre-emergant and fertilizing services to help land more residential accounts. I'm probably getting in over my head, but I have to start somewhere.

Some customers have just asked me to spread Scott's Bonus S granular fertilizer on the lawn, in the past, but this seems like it could just be a shot in the dark, if I don't really know what the lawn needs. It get's prety hot here, and I suspect that many people do not water the St. Augustine enough. Does anyone know how much water it needs? I know some companies spray Iron on the grass to make it greener. Can I do this with granular fertilizer as well? I know that in some cases the grass needs more topsoil, but I'm not sure how to tell. Should I start with a soil test?
Old 04-06-2003, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

LawnMowerMan2003

First place to start is to check out the laws in your state. If you are not licensed then start there. I think Texas has favorable laws for you.

"Florida Lawn Handbook" is the bible on St Augustine turf in my state. It written for the beginner but still used by the old timers and you can buy it for about 15.00 from amazon.com.

Texas A & M has a good web site and so does U of Fla. they work together. In fact Texas A & M and U of Fla. worked together to develop Floratan in the 70's. Floratan is to most widely used St Augustine.

Fla. Lawn Handbook on line

Texas A & M Turf

Fla. Turf

Here is a good one

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

LawnMowerMan2003

Second Though.

First place you might want to check is your local fertilizer or chemical supplier. Lesco gears itself to home owners and lawn service people, normally the local salesman can sell you the right stuff and tell you how to use it. But if you really want to be good then take the time to learn it for yourself so you can have the greenest lawns. Yes Granule can get the turf just as green if not greener than liquid. Good Luck.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I checked and found out there is a Lesco in San Antonio. I guess I need to go talk to them.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT