Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2003, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Help me get a Clue

I have a bid coming up that is a bit bigger than what I'm used to doing. Normaly I just doing the mowing, edging, etc. stuff, but now I have to give a bid on mulching and maybe some brush clearing. It's 2 1/2-3 acres of mowing and about 100ft of mulching. Mulch is about $27.00 yd cost, which I figure I will need about 4 yds at 2-3 inch depth. The customer may also want some minor landscaping done. There is some dead flower beds that she wants redone and mulched. Also along her driveway is some brush that she wants cleared out and hauled away. So I guess my question is, do I bid the job all as one, or each job ( mowing, mulching, etc.) as seperate bids so they can decide what they want or don't want. What would be a good starting basis for me to figure out what to use as a starting point? I always come on here for advice and have never been disappointed, so please help me out....
Old 04-07-2003, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not to sound smartalecky, but you do both. You give it to her all as one package, but have it itemized on the bill. As far as the pricing goes, I can't realy help you out, there, because I don't know what it costs you to operate, or what you're even cutting with over there. Now, HERE, I would get about 70 to 100 bucks for the mowing, around $230 for the mulch (if you can have it delivered for 20 bucks), and the brush, depending how much it is, figure you're dumping cost, + hourly + fuel, and you should be pretty close on that. Now, on the mulch, if you can't have that delivered for 20, charge whatever more it costs. I think it would be well worth the delivery fee, though, rather than the time involved getting it, unless it's like right on your way and you have a truck that can get it all in one load.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm figuring about $70-100 per acre, depending on what is involved. I haven't seen the lot yet. I can pick-up the mulch on the way to the job. It's right on the way there. I figure double the price of my cost of the mulch, then add the spreading of the mulch, wear and tear of the equipment, etc., labor for two workers and then I think the bid should roughly be about $420 or so......any other thoughts?