Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2003, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

selling bulk material

i' dont know if this is in the right forum but i am thinking about getting a 1 ton dump and selling bulk mulch, stone etc. how many of you all do it ? i am seeing adds in the paper with pirce and this guy is only makeing $8 as near as i can figure would that really be worth it?

thanks for any comments
alex
Old 04-08-2003, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawnboy,

Are you talking about having someone drop 100 yards or what ever and then you reselling that at $8 per yard picked up?? or are you talking about making the mulch by grinding it from raw stumps and other wood and then selling it....

1st if you are talking about having someone drop it... how are you going to load it? ok so you have a small tractor or skid steer... and just bins for a couple of colors... it might cover your costs... maybe.. maybe not... but it might be close on just a non colored, undyed hardwood mulch...

If you are grinding the product yourself.. then your not that close... from the grinder, the loader, etc... just does not seem enough unless you push out 10,000 of yards...

I work for someone who's side biz is a mulch yard... his primary is land clearing... so he takes his own product that someone has paid to have removed, brings it to the mulch yard and grinds it.. then charges it to be picked up or delivered... so he gets paid in and out... nice way to work it....

Just my .02....

Pete
Old 04-08-2003, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

current idea is just line up a few and go to the material yrd which is 5 mile away buy it and deliever. but i have a buddy with some ground and have to talk to him about dumping it out there. so to get some better priceing.

alex
Old 04-08-2003, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about delivering "bulk" in a 1 ton truck. You'll be making alot of trips.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 04-09-2003, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to buy in bulk to make more than $8 a yard.you should be making double that pluse more if your doing only 1 yard deliveries.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

i know i thought those margins seemed kinda slim i found i rental yard that i can get up to a 12yrd dump and its near a mulch yard that much cheaper so i will look into that. but i just fired the $8 on what one guys had priced in the paper and what i can buy it for.

alex