Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-09-2003, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag Cub for residential work?

I want to buy a Scag or Exmark 48" Cub or Z. I will use it on 1/4 to 1 acre lawns. What one leaves the best cut for saintaugastine grass with a mulcher? Is the Cub a quality machine?
Old 04-09-2003, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

i agonized between these two machines for a couple of months and went to a proday sale in atlanta the scag rep talked me into the cub for $5999 he really made a compelling argument for his machine over exmark.but even after the sale i had a month to pick up my machine.well when i went to the dealership to pay i discovered that someone i went to school with worked there we got to talking and he told me that scag had some issues with hydro's and clutches.they sell exmarks also so i talked to the mechanics the said scags come back into shop 3 to 1 over exmarks.i bought the exmark and haven't looked back i love it.now this is just one dealership but here in georgia you'll see a whole lot more exmarks than scags.just my opinion but i don't see how you can go wrong with red.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't see too many Scags around here, there are quite a few eXes' around though. Must mean something.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't mostly all Z's and walk behinds run same pumps. I know my cub uses 10CC hyro pumps and seem same as the Exmark HP pumps. Also looked at the Tiger and Z, they also looked liked same pumps until this year. I know Scag changed to the bigger 16 CC hydro pumps on Turf Tiger, though don't know if Exmark did or is still using 10CC this year. As for clutches I never had problem with my Cub (500Hrs, with bagger) and my Turf Tiger has 2,000 + Hrs and never replaced clutch or even belt on it yet. Pumps are alright too.