Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2007, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting Strategies

Ok, I know this is a total newbie question and second nature to you veterans, but can I get some tips or directed to a site that discusses cutting technique. I have been driving around regularly, looking at various yards and trying to conceptualize how I would cut them and what the best way would be to achieve the most desirable effect. I know you should change up cutting directions regularly, I do know that much (lol). Are straight lines always the best? What about when straight lines are impossible? I mean a big open lot that is square or rectangular is easy to envision. But when I try to strategize a yard that is all over the place and has a ton of trees, flower beds, decorations, uneven terrain etc. etc. I am having difficulty picturing the best strategy to achieve optimal results.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Great question. I'm looking to start mowing this year and would love to some response to this.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some yards you can only cut one way, and that is the nature of the beast. I try not to "racetrack", but sometimes that is your only option. I think it looks better in a striped fashion. Not necessarily striped, but mowed in that fashion. Honestly, I don't think the moajority of customers care, just as long as the grass is shorter when you get done...that's all they want. But personal gratification is important too. (Not THAT kind of gratification...filthy minds) ANd I feel better about the job when I am able to do it the way I think is best. But yeah. Just cut the damn grass!!!!!!

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

yea i think doign straight lines looks best.... but i dont have a zero turn so when i do straight lines it takes me longer because i have to go across for the first line and then when i get to the end... back up and get lined up again..... lol only way to really do it with my mower is going from the outside in ... if you get what i meen
Old 02-24-2007, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Some yards you can only cut one way, and that is the nature of the beast. I try not to "racetrack", but sometimes that is your only option. I think it looks better in a striped fashion. Not necessarily striped, but mowed in that fashion. Honestly, I don't think the moajority of customers care, just as long as the grass is shorter when you get done...that's all they want. But personal gratification is important too. (Not THAT kind of gratification...filthy minds) ANd I feel better about the job when I am able to do it the way I think is best. But yeah. Just cut the damn grass!!!!!!
Hey shields i always wanted to ask is that you in that pic. Sorry i know it has nothing to do with the subject but always wondered
42" Hustler
48" Yazoo Kees
3 echo trimmer
3 echo edger
3 echo blower
2 stihl chainsaw
3 echo double sided hedge trimmer
1 Husqvrna single sided hedge trimmer
Hand tools etc..
Old 02-24-2007, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

mow it in stripe fashion. theres always a way. never do it race track style, thats very unprofessional.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

i mow perimeter first, blowing clippings away. then look for longest perspective stripe..takes some practice keeping it straight then work off that ..just my technique..
Old 02-24-2007, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I circle the perimeter first. I see some guys do the perimiter last to clean things up, and that does look a bit better.

Because I do almost all really big lawns, I run a stripe right up the middle of the lawn, keeping my eyes focused on a tree or something at the far end of the run (to keep the line straight). Then I just work off that first straight stripe.

The next week I make sure to run the stripes in a different direction. The customers will then start to see a checkerboard effect, which looks pretty snazzy. The 3rd week goes in yet another direction, and so on.

Remember, in a mid-August drought, when the lawn only grows 1/2 inch, it will look like a nice fresh cut if the stripes go a different way than the last cut. It helps customers feel like they are getting more value.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No matter what direction you mow in, the KEY to straight stripes is, on the first stripe you want to line up and focus on 2 different targets...one fairly close and the second farther back. Focusing on 2 objects will ensure you are going straight the first time. Then just go from there.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

here are diagrams of how to do it...

http://www.scag.com/lawnstriping.html

dont forget to go around the perimiter one last time to erase the turn around marks form the lawn...
6 full time