Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2003, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is fax spamming legal? The sending of unsolicited advertisements via the fax machine? If I came home to a fax machine full of ads, I'd not be too happy about it.
Crawdad
Old 04-10-2003, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Crawdad -

Good question that I don't have an answer for.

I can say this - one guy I talked to said, "you know what we get faxes from folks all of the time but you are the first one to show up to shake hands.....I think that's great let's do some business." I have not bid on anything yet, so we'll see how things turn out.

I know a guy the does carpet cleaning. Actually, he was the one that gave me the idea. He told me during his first year he locked himself indoors and used the fax/Chamber of Commerce list & that was all the start up advertising he needed!! He said one of his best customers came from that fax session and is still with him 5 years later.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

We receive about 4-5 advertisements over the fax everyday at my office. The secretary looks through the faxes when she goes by the machine and usually throws away the ads. With this said, anything that looks like it may be interesting to the owner does get saved. I think it could be a good way to get your name out, it must work for these other companies that keep doing it. I don't think it is illegal, but it may be worth checking out to see if there is a "do not fax list" like telemarketers "do not call list" Good luck and let us know how things turn out!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Ok, not trying to be a smart butt here, but why weren't you able to distribute more than 700 fliers?
You have spent hundreds of hours on here waiting for the season to start, and now after sitting on the computer all this time, you haven't passed out enough fliers? It doesn't make sense.
Believe me, we aren't flier pushers either, but I'm just curious as to why you weren't able to lay out more fliers.
Well I have an explanation for that too
I was trying to wait until the last week of March to start so I wouldn't be early (usually start first week of April but spring was late this year) Had some rainy days in there when you couldn't do them. Some days were cold/windy but I did it anyway. Then a couple days were taken up helping someone move which I wasn't counting on happening. I don't know, things just didn't work out like I planned
The paper ad starts tomorrow so if anyone calls before 4:30 pm I will get it, otherwise they can leave a message and I'll get them later...

Last year I got a 1% response rate exactly on fliers... This year it stinks! I should have had 6-9 calls at least from it... With my special offer I should have gotten more like 50+ calls! Well... I'm dissappointed in myself but at the same time there is nothing I could do to avoid it except maybe have started earlier but then people would just throw them away because there was still snow on the ground

I'm just whining, feel kind of like a failure in that aspect... Got the insurance and biz cards and fliers and only got enough work to pay for that stuff Plus I'm working 2-3 hrs a week at my church for free mowing, trimming, edging and blowing, using my equipment. It looks fantastic, much better than it has been I've gotten alot of compliments on it (that Fescue really stripes good) maybe I will get a job or two from that then it would really be worth it. Funny but I seem to work best when I am not getting paid, guess I am kind of a generous guy (I like to help or give things).

Don't wanna do the fax thing... I did alittle telemarketing earlier this year to businesses and thought I had this one job but one of the employees at that place decided to do it... mom said last she saw the place looked ratty! LOL I will call him back maybe he wants me to do it after all.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no room for excuses when running a business, you either are or you aren't. Helping someone move isn't very conducive to your business now is it? Nothing wrong with lending a hand, but it came at the expense of getting more work.

We prepare all winter for this time of year, you should have more than one game plan should things happen that one must adjust to.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BHB -

Do not feel like a failure. We all feel that way from time to time but realizing self worth is very important. You said it yourself, the church grounds look great. That's because you do good work. Plus, you're out there trying to drum up business. I'm doing the same thing. I just made a good contact, but the other day I had a guy drop me for "his old lawn guy." I suspect I was underbid, but that's okay. Ups and downs.

Just keep plugging away and the jobs will come. You ought to know being a church member that these things don't always happen when we want them to - sure we have to uphold our end of the deal but we are not in control of the big picture :-)
Old 04-11-2003, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric,

Your young, its springtime so....
grab your bat, ball, glove and hat and play ball. Go to the beach & hang out. I give you a lot of credit for bring an ambitious young man! But YOU HAVE TO REALIZE THAT THESE SHOULD BE THE BEST YEARS OF YOUR LIFE. I hope you heard me!!!! I too had about 20 lawns or so before I graduated high school and could drive. I kept working thru college 50+ hours and my last 3 1/2 years went 3 mornings and 4 evenings. I won't say I'm not proud of the business I built, but part of me wonders where I'd be right now had I chosen to have had a little more fun time for myself. You definately are a diciplined young man and totally go against the norm of today (worthless self-absorbed want everything for nothing youths), but really you should learn to relax and have some fun too.

Good luckwith your upcoming season, relax some too. Your professional work will get you more referrals in time than you'll know how to handle. We have declined in excess of 500+ accounts in the last 2 seasons. Over 300 of them were referrals.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't worry too much about it.

Most flyers (if stuck on mailboxes) end up crumpled and soggy, forlornly lying in the ditch or blown under the nearest bush, only to be placed in the current LCOs trash bag (along with the beer cans, ciggie packs, and candy bar wrappers) when he shows up to service the lawn...if not outright tossed by the homeowner themselves.

I've picked up a ton of them off the ground and tossed them in the trash can already. I hate picking them up in the spring. Rain, wind, kids riding by on bikes making a game out of yanking 'em off and dropping them on the ground....it takes it's toll on those poor little flyers.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks guys....
Bob, when I want to relax I go out to MY yard and mow or trim at a leisurely pace I mean just kind of slow and take my time at it, not getting paid no rush just get out and cut some grass and enjoy the weather or I work on my current project in the shop
SLS I am feeling better already about all the hard work I put into my fliers
Thanks guys for the encouragement but I was hoping for a last minute cut-throat marketing technique I've got like 3 customers, 2 from fliers and one from an ad in the paper.... But 3 is like nothing although it's a start...
ttyl
Old 04-15-2003, 12:48 AM

I agree with Turfdude, go have some fun (not cutting ur own lawn at a liesurly pace ) I also worked all through high school but i always made time to have fun, sometimes i still think i worked too much though. Soon enough you'll be outa school and believe me doing this work full time is a completely different ball game than any part time company. working is great, don't get me wrong and what you'r doing i s good, but instead of sitting on lawnsite everynight go chase some girls around or something.