Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2003, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

After you cut your churchs lot, go pray, to me praying is an inspiration and it keeps me going through tough times. Keep a great attitude and things will work out fine, but make sure you live your high school life man. One of the things I regreted in high school was taking work too seriously and missing out on things that will never happen again. But then again, somethings going great for me so I'm happy. After all things said, just be optimistic and happy. A great attitude about things rubs off on customers and brings more. Good luck
Old 04-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Suspended

The thing I love about this business is i have alsorts of free time aside from work , i work hard to maintain my contract obligations , and of course go to school , but i can make tripple what my freinds do and have lots of freetime, like i can get done work friday night and head off to what evers goin on then at around 930 or 10 all the other guys show up that work in grocery stores ect . from what i`ve seen u`ve got really stoked about this season maybe a little too stoked and i have too the prospect that i`d be makin 35 gs if i landed all my commercail tenders got me really stoked now some have gone in and its been a week i`m feelin not so sh!t hot , i don`t think they have even opened the tenders yet. but i`m on edge . But u`ve really got ur stuff together and it should work out for u, but u`ve got to be prepard for the worst. thats all i can say, i guess
Old 04-15-2003, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Marketing is something that needs to be done continuously, not just when you realize you don't have any work. I run adds year round.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Randy Scott

Man lighten up a little. He is a 15 yr old kid. Maybe his dad told him he had to help with the moving, and he had no say in it.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have thought about saying something about Randy Scott being a little hard core at times also. I have been waiting for him to be wrong about something to do it. I'm still waiting. .
Old 04-22-2003, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nah Randy is a good guy, I know from working with him and also he's been able to help me out alot getting going here.
Anyways BHB, why not look into doing fliers one evening, when it gets dark out go and drive in the areas that you want to put your fliers in and go do it. Thats what I'm going to be doing tonight because after running my newspaper ad for about a month haven't had much luck, maybe one or two calls. But the weather is turning good and the grass is greening up so who knows. But what I'm finding out is my fliers are working after a few weeks of sitting in peoples homes people are finally calling me. You have to adjust as you move through the season. If you feel you dont have enough work, go out and put more fliers out. Also look at your overhead, I know what your doing for the church is great, but from reading posts on here many guys charge a cheaper rate to churches but still charge the church because we are in business. If your saying it takes 2-3hrs aweek to maintain the church property and your doing it all for free that hopefully you have another account similar size to make up for that "donation" time, cause thats alot of hours at the end of the season for gas and other maintenance.
I help out at church by doing spring and fall cleanup but haven't done any advertising there yet cause it's in a different area that I work in, but someday I plan to.
Just some things to think about, but dont get to overwhelmed in it, your stilll going to school and you gotta remember that as well.
Matt
2003 8.5x16' Great Lakes Cargo Enclosed Trailer
2005 6x20' BNM tandem 12,000lbs trailer
2011 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2005 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2004 Scag 72" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2001 Scag 52" Turf Tiger 23 LCKawi
2002 Scag 52" SWZ 17 Kawi
2003 JD 250 Series II 64hp
Echo handhelds
Old 04-25-2003, 03:43 AM
Banned

BHB-

I would suggest to you a couple of things:

1) Get out and meet people. Doesn't matter who they are, just meet people, tell them what you do (but don't be pushy, you have to be suave about it). If they like you, and they think you can do a better job than their present guy, they will hire you. Now which do you think is better? Selling via a piece of paper that cost you $0.01? or selling face to face, where even if you don't get their business, you have a new contact for the future. Who knows, maybe they won't need you for 10 years? but they might have friends who need you tomorow.

2) Enjoy yourself while you are young. When I was your age, the only things I cared about werer working and making money, anything and anybody else that didn't have to do with my working or making money I cared very little about. Looking back now at those times, I wish I could have done it differently; developed more friendships, and worked a little less. There were a couple girls who kept talking to me when I first got to high school... very pretty... very nice... but all I wanted to do was run numbers.

3) Have as MANY people as you can thinking you're a nice person, but don't let them take advantage of you. Lend a helping hand when you can, talk to that client of yours for a few extra minutes when you're there, talk to their neighbors, talk to other contractors working at sites nearby, befriend pets... By doing these things you will do a couple of things for yourself.
1) You should feel better about yourself, because you are meeting new and interesting people.
2) You get to know your clients a lot better, and they you which will bring understanding into a relationship as opposed to "you owe me XXX for XXX please pay now, good bye"
3) Some of the best accounts I have ever come across, were ones that I picked up by just being nice to people, and lending a hand when I could.
4) You will have more people to turn to when a problem arises. TRUST me, you won't be able to solve each and every problem you come across on your own. Find that group of people who you fit in with, who you can call when your machine goes down, or you have to go away for a week because your parents say so, or because you are sick, or you come across a job you just don't know how to do, or have the equipment to do.

Develop solid relationships with a core group of people who you can count on when you need them. I have 3 people who I have met through being in business that I could call at any time day or night and they would be there to help me with whatever I need. These people are also some of the only people who I would trust with my life, each one in their own respective way. (I say trust with my life in the sense that if they don't do what I need them to do, I die or get SEVERELY hurt.)

It's very nice that you have your 15 year old friends, and you know a bunch of people on here. However I TRULY cannot stress enough that you need that core group of people in your local area, without them your life will just be shall we say, that much more interesting. They will advise you who to talk to about certain things, who is good to make buddy-buddy with, they will also tell you who to stay away from, they will tell you where you can get a better price on this or that, they can advise you on customer and employee problems... because they have been there before. Obviously those people aren't going to be your age, they will probably be 15 - 20 years older than you, if not more.

Hope that helps some?