Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 04-12-2003, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Sharpening Angle

I just got my mag-9000 today. Let's just say that for a guy who has been sharpening blades for 10 years on a bench grinder, half of that on a really cheap grinder, I am quite the happy camper! This thing almost, I repeat almost, makes sharpening blades fun. I hate sharpening blades so that oughta tell you something. Anyways, my question is this, I believe the manual says that you adjust the sharpening angle by cranking the handle. Do you need to adjust this as the wheel grinds down. As I see it, the wheel is going to shrink in diameter and then require me to lower the wheel. Does this change the angle? Do I need to just keep an eye on this and adjust accordingly? Thanks in advance on what is probably an elementary question.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:55 PM
Sponsor

Hi Northern

I am glad you like our Mag-9000,

To answer you question. Yes you have to slowly adjust the grinding wheel down so that as it wears you keep the same angle.

For our Sharpeners, both the Mag-9000 and Mag-8000, When you adjust the Grinding wheel down to just touching the work table you will be grinding at about a 30 degree angle.

Also remember the steeper the angle the stronger the edge and the shallower the angle the weaker the edge.

Thanks
Erik

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 04-13-2003, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

How long did it take to get your mag-9000. I ordered mine over 2 weeks ago. got the balancer in 4 days (lota good that does). Now I've got almost every blade I own dull. called about 4 days ago the guy told me to be patent (still didn't answer my quistion). So how much longer do I have until this wonderful mystery machine is at my door step.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Sponsor

Hi Lawnmutt

Where did you order your Mag-9000?

At the moment we only have recent Mag-9000 orders that have not been shipped yet.

If you ordered it from us please email me your information and it will be shipped on Monday (4-14-03)

Thanks
Erik

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
Old 06-22-2003, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Since I also just purchased a Mag 9000 I want to make sure I get this whole sharpening angle thing right. To get the best blade angle should I spin the wheel by hand, lower the wheel until it touches the table, and the raise the wheel enough so it spins freely?

Also, when is the wheel considered worn out and in need of replacement.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:45 PM
Sponsor

angle & wheel question

Hello,

To set the angle on the MAG-9000, you could do it the way your are describing, or more easily you could have the machine running - and slowly lower the wheel until you see it almost touching the plastic. You should be able to do it by eye - but if not the way you descibed will work just fine. BUT I would suggest if you plan on touching the grinding wheel with bare hands - unplug it for safety.

2nd question - When is the grinding wheel no longer useable.

On the MAG-9000 you can use the grinding wheel all the way down to the blotter (circular paper label), and since the MAG-9000's grinding wheel wears "dresses" to a 45 degree angle you can actually take it off and turn in around and use the rest of it up. JUST don't go past the paper.

If you have any more questions, just ask!!

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
Old 06-23-2003, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the speedy response.