Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2000, 10:41 PM

Location: Middle Tennessee, Walking Horse Capital of the World
I began using double blades last fall when I was shredding leaves and mowing what little grass we had growing after the drought last fall. I love them. When I bought my Dixie Chopper this spring I got a set of gators and hi-lift blades while I was there. Been running double blades on it for past 2 weeks, really makes a difference in the way the lawn looks. Thanks Eric, for the info on the double blades.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/dtlc/&quot;&gt;Rich@Davis Total Lawn Care&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 05-01-2000, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

in regaurds to toro and others, should i cut a notch out of the cradle to fit another blade? This would create the perpindicular thing some of you are speaking of.
Old 05-02-2000, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Alan what kind of Exmark do you have? Did you have any problems fitting the two blades onto one bolt?? Keep me updated on how it's working for you, if you have any problems, and if you find a really good combo of blades. I really don't want to ruin my spindles on my Exmark Lazer Hp 48&quot; 21 hp kaw. I have seen on this post that a lot of people have liked this setup, but most of them own Dixie Choppers.
Old 05-02-2000, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Alan what kind of Exmark do you have? Did you have any problems fitting the two blades onto one bolt?? Keep me updated on how it's working for you, if you have any problems, and if you find a really good combo of blades. I really don't want to ruin my spindles on my Exmark Lazer Hp 48&quot; 21 hp kaw. I have seen on this post that a lot of people have liked this setup, but most of them own Dixie Choppers.
Old 05-02-2000, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

HEY ERIC,<p>Have you heard about anybody trying this double blade thing on my model of Exmark?(It's in my last post) Also, should I put a washer between them or add anything other than one extra blade to spindle??? I want to be absolutely sure before doing this because I don't want a blade going into one of the kids in my neighborhood because it flew off the mower. That definitely wouldn't be good for a business. LOL
Old 05-02-2000, 04:26 PM

Grassboy, like I said in my post, Lazer. 60&quot;, 25 Kohler. I did go to bolts slightly longer to accomodate the extra blade, had to cut some to the right length, didn't have any that would do in stock lengths. And I wish someone would explain to me just how they figure any extra load on the spindle. Stone made some half cocked comment about thrust loads being greater (has to be thrust load, he was concerned about the weight). As far as radial load, since the blades are in balance no matter how they are positioned to each other, why should that make a difference? Maybe a bit of extra load (thrust) from the two sets of lift wings but that would be about it. And how is the extra blade going to fly off your mower?
Old 05-02-2000, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Alan, <br>My thoughts would be that some how you are incresing the moment on the spindle by adding another blade. Im working on my degree in civil engineeing, i have to take statics but thank god not dynamics ( if i had to use dynamics we'd have big problems) so i cant really say what is going on. It seems to me that the mower was designed to have 1 blade, by adding another one it would seem to add more stress to the machine. It seems that you would be detereorating the machine some, how much is a question of how overbuilt the spindle is. I think that most machines would be able to handle this added load, and the only problems will be with motors not having enough ass to keep the tip speed up in high grass. I have been curious about the 2 blade system and im going to try it when i get back home for summer. Im also going to go talk to some of my ME freinds and see if they have any thing to say. Hope i made some sense in all that rambleing.
Old 05-02-2000, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grassboy,<p>My 52&quot; Lazer I believe has the same spindles as the 44&quot; and 48&quot; decks. And I use the stock bolts. You don't need longer ones. Just torque them down according to the book and you'll be fine.
Old 05-02-2000, 06:17 PM

test
Old 05-02-2000, 06:31 PM

Grassboy. theres a big world outside Clevelend. You should try and see it sometime lol. I live in the south carolina. The ground temps are much warmer here most of the time. Alot of people plant Centipeed. Centipeed looks good at 1/1/2&quot;. Alot of answers in this forum do not apply to the country as a whole. Now using 2 blades on my lazer even a 2&quot; cuts into the ground on slight inclines. So I went back to gator blades and am just cutting inward and chopping up the grass and that looks good too. Now I cut fescue and zoysia and st augustine, bermuda, 2&quot; to 3&quot;. The grass grows so fast here that you better cut it a little shorter or people will complain