Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2003, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

help with pricing

Can someone quickly help me, I was called with a commercial account today to bid on. Last guys were really bad. I have never placed a bid with someone of such large capacity. Don't really know how to place a bid, but they were impressed with me when I went to give my card. Please help. It is a small apartment complex with no landscaping and are under construction as we speak. Need to know approx how much to bid for and how to contract.

You guys are great. Thanks for your help.
Mac
Old 04-16-2003, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

well...first of all tell us about the property..>the size, amount of trimming around trees & landscaping beds, slopes or hills, etc? What size of mower you plan on using? The location, by I mean a smaller city, or larger city? Income level in the area? Give lots and lots of details
Old 04-16-2003, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Property is in low income area, city is extremely small with big competition. It would take approx 2 hours to cut. No flower beds, just cutting grass, no clean up. Some trimming around trees in back but not of major concern to appartment.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

are you cutting it by yourself or do you have employees? What size of a mower are you going to use?
Old 04-16-2003, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I am just starting out and it is my first season. Manager was very impressed with my presentation and was very impressed with the fact that I came to them in person to find out about their service noticing that it was middle of April and that there had been no mowing this season. There is little clean up since their are under construction and it is up to them to clean up the area. Has approx 7 buildings and 1 small playground. I hope this info helps you with suggestions.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the easiest way to figure out the cost is take your overhead and direct costs. Find out how much you have to charge per hour first to cover the costs. But then add a profit to that amount. Right there is about the cost that you should charge per hour. But then you have to add in your equipment cost for the hour. How much should and will you charge per hour for a 48" mower compared to a 60" mower
Old 04-16-2003, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ok since this is your first year I guess another important question to ask you are you licensed and insured? Because you are cutting on a commerical property and a lot of problems can arise from a commerical property if something gets damaged or someone gets hurt. If you are not of the either then you need to do that before you get this property.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 36" mower and it is me and my fiance' doing it by ourselves. All legal docs are in place but we did not think that things would fall into place so fast since we just got started and we were late in the season. Started in middle of March.. How you like that for beginners luck, but then again, reputation goes a long way when you have good friends.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it takes you about 2 hours with a 36" mower and since this is your first year and you want to get your foot in the door...somewhere between $60-$85. Because once you get a larger mower that time will be cut in half almost. (I'm trying to think back when I first started out about how much I charged my first year)

Last edited by tiedeman; 04-16-2003 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

How did you present your bid? I am pretty sure that I have this contract but I have never had to bid on anything.