Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2003, 10:39 PM
Bunton Guy's Avatar
Bunton Guy Bunton Guy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 1,652
16HP vanguard oil filter?

Looking for a cross reference of a filter I might be able to pick up at a auto store or wal-mart....the filters I usually use are Rotary brand from my local lawn mower shop and they sell for 6 bucks a peice...I would love to find something a but cheaper so I could change the oil more often.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Doc Pete Doc Pete is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,469
Re: 16HP vanguard oil filter?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunton Guy
Looking for a cross reference of a filter I might be able to pick up at a auto store or wal-mart....the filters I usually use are Rotary brand from my local lawn mower shop and they sell for 6 bucks a peice...I would love to find something a but cheaper so I could change the oil more often.
The "NAPA" 1034 will fit. I use it on my 20hp Briggs. It's double the size of the stocker.... More oil and more filtering...... GOOOD....................................
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2003, 11:33 PM
Bunton Guy's Avatar
Bunton Guy Bunton Guy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 1,652
NAPA's site says its 6.58 for that filter. Thats a but more
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2003, 12:06 AM
Doc Pete Doc Pete is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,469
Quote:
Originally posted by Bunton Guy
NAPA's site says its 6.58 for that filter. Thats a but more
Since it's double the size and offers more oil for the complete system, you don't need to change as often. Also, at that price, it's the same cost as a large coffee with a Taylor ham and Egg sandwich. In other words, with a $1,000 motor at stake, $6,50 is totally meaningless, if you catch my drift. Just run the better filter and be happy
Pete
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2003, 01:40 AM
mckell68's Avatar
mckell68 mckell68 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N.E. OHIO--AUSTINTOWN
Posts: 46
I have an 18 HP vanguard and it takes the following:

fram--ph3614
stp--3614
ac delco--pf53
lesco--ph2835
motorcraft--fl793
purolator--per241
wal-mart brand--3614

hope this helps--mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2003, 09:21 AM
wriken's Avatar
wriken wriken is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 2,161
I order all my filters thru filter1, if you order 6 or more, you get free shipping. Delivered to my place in about 2 days. Wix # 51348 for my 16 hp, Briggs $3.73 a piece
__________________
Wright's Lawn Service
285 S. Clare Ave.
Harrison, Mi. 48625
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Doc Pete Doc Pete is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,469
Quote:
Originally posted by wriken
I order all my filters thru filter1, if you order 6 or more, you get free shipping. Delivered to my place in about 2 days. Wix # 51348 for my 16 hp, Briggs $3.73 a piece
OK, since I'm known to beat a dead horse , my point is the Napa filter is double the size for much bettter filtering and it allows more oil in the system which keeps the motor running cooler. And for $6, who gives a damn about pricing, especially when you're making about $60/hour.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2003, 11:37 AM
Bunton Guy's Avatar
Bunton Guy Bunton Guy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 1,652
Thank you mckell68 thats exactly what I needed. Thanks guys
:blush:
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2003, 12:17 PM
wriken's Avatar
wriken wriken is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
OK, since I'm known to beat a dead horse , my point is the Napa filter is double the size for much bettter filtering and it allows more oil in the system which keeps the motor running cooler. And for $6, who gives a damn about pricing, especially when you're making about $60/hour.
NAPA's good filters, as long as the relief is the same and anti-drainback, I say go for it. I buy for 3 P/S fords, 4 mowers, cars, and compact tractors, I like wix and always order more then 6 so its easy for me.
__________________
Wright's Lawn Service
285 S. Clare Ave.
Harrison, Mi. 48625
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2003, 01:10 PM
Birken Vogt Birken Vogt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Penn Valley, Ca
Posts: 9
NAPA filters are Wix filters rebranded. They are the same thing. A NAPA part number is a Wix number with the leading digit knocked off. So a 51348 becomes a 1348

Birken
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.09199 seconds with 7 queries