Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2003, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did my first mowing this week - Have a 6.98 acre JD dealership - Mowed it in 42 minutes - Trimming time 7 minutes - What should I charge?

I charge $110 per mowing - Is that good?

I run one machine - solo.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Flex-deck, 110.00 seems way to low. I know you did it in under an hour. But you shouldn't give your services away. As business owners, it is our job to be efficient to make a profit. If you find a faster way to do something doesn't mean you have to lower your price.

I believe that all Lawns have a price to cut. No matter what equipment you use. The customer expects to pay that amount. Let say you have a 10,000 sq. ft. lawn and the going price in your area is $40. That is what should be charged. If one guy takes 2 hours pushing it with a $200 mower, Or another guy can cut it in 30 minutes with a $10,000 mower. The price remains the same.

Some trades, like Auto mechanics, have a book charge. If the book says it takes 3 hours to perform a task. then that is what they charge you. even if they do it in 2 or 4 hours. It's their job to be efficient.

Why is a John Deere dealership hiring out to mow their grass? Don't they have demo units? Well I guess at your prices, I don't blame them
Old 04-22-2003, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
Did my first mowing this week - Have a 6.98 acre JD dealership - Mowed it in 42 minutes - Trimming time 7 minutes - What should I charge?

I charge $110 per mowing - Is that good?

I run one machine - solo.
With your flex deck included, how many total inches? What kind of mower?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I bid it at $210.00 per week. They have nice turf so it isnt something that you can just fly in and get the results they are looking for. I am a little under gunned for this one, but if I get it I will buy a 60" lazer z.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Flex, what would you charge the same guy for his one acre home?
Old 04-23-2003, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

"What would I bid on a one acre home?" - depends on obstacles, terrain etc, but I will tell you this.

I bid on a 17 acre - no obstacles - flat - minimal trimming - actually no trimming - BIWEEKLY mowing - I bid $269 and lost!!!! what does that tell you about our area? - They did tell me that I was close though!

Thanks, Brad

PS. Just mowed a 2 acre yard in town for a widow lady that I used to do woodworking with her now deceased husband. I do it for basically nothing, but only takes 20 minutes - 3 buildings, about 10 trees - otherwise open. - I would expect that if there were bids on that yard in this area they would come in at about $70.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Flex, How does anyone in your area make any money? I understand that you found a way to make a little with your inventions. But does all LCO's in your area use homemade wide area mowers or does a new ZTR cost a couple hundred dollars in your neck of the woods? Your competition has to have some secret that allows them to survive on those prices.

Unless it was you that drove prices down with your inventions If I was you I would be having a talk with the local guys about getting back on track.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say in between $225 and $300
Old 04-24-2003, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Brad,
I have some problems when giving estimates because of the equipment I have. I have a Toro 44" wbh, Walker 48" GHS, MTD Pro Z 54" sd, JD F915 60" sd If I cut using the 44" Toro it might take 1 hr to do a job, if I use the Walker it might take 45 minutes but the lawn will look perfect when done, if I use the MTD it will only take 25 minutes to do the job and if I use the John Deere it would be a few minutes quicker depending on obstacles as it's longer. I feel that the job should be priced according to the size of the property and the level of perfection the customer wants. The customer feels that if I use the 44" they are getting their monies worth but if I use the MTD 54" and am done in 25 minutes I am way overpriced and ripping them off. Usually we do the first cut using the Walker taking our time and do a perfect job then we eventually end up using the MTD and making money. Some customers would prefer that we use sissors and take hours to cut their lawn.
What I am getting at is that the equipment you use should have very little to do with the price of the cut. Bottom line you are cutting the lawn if you use a 48" mower or you use a 84" wide area mower the price per cut should be the same.