Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2003, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry fellows Business has me tied up right now. Should have more time in a week or two.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought that nitrobacter is present in aquariums to break down ammonia to nitrites???
Old 05-04-2003, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric,

I hate to see business taking you away from lawn-site.....I figured you must be busy, I hadn't heard from you in a while.

Best of luck out in the field,

EG
Old 05-06-2003, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Russ,

talking about temps, is that soil or air temps?
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 02-14-2005, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good thread! just wanted to bring this back up
Old 02-27-2006, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy
Good thread! just wanted to bring this back up
Yes it is a good thread let me bump it again.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-27-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
NITROGEN

In order to understand Nitrogen fertilizers a quick back ground on the Nitrogen Cycle is in order.

Green is the major components of Nitrogen and where they exist in the environment.
1. 70% of the air we breathe is Nitrogen
2. Nitrogen is the component of Amino Acids.
3. Amino Acids are the building blocks of DNA.
4. DNA is the building blocks of protein.
5. DNA and protein are the building blocks of all life Plant and Animal
6. 10 ppm of nitrate in water makes it un drinkable..

Blue is the way Nitrogen gets into the different components.
1. Reduction is the process of taking on electrons in chemical terms.
2. Redox Potential is the ability to receive those electrons

Red is the way Nitrogen leaves the major components.
1. Oxidation is the loss of electrons in chemical terms
2. In order for Oxidation Reduction to occur Oxygen must be present and this is called an Aerobic reaction.
3. A reaction with out the presents of Oxygen is called Anaerobic reaction.

Now I am not a PhD or even an Agronomist. Therefore a full understanding of the Nitrogen Cycle is not necessary. I offer it only as a start to discussing Nitrogen Fertilizer. A simple knowledge of the Nitrogen Cycle will help us understand how our fertilizer works. I have been asked by members of this form to start this thread. PLEASE I NEED HELP. The only way it will work is with input from many others. I have tried to make the Nitrogen Cycle as simple as I could and I have and will make mistakes. Please feel free to correct me or help.

If Nitrogen is successful then we will discuss Phosphorus and the Potassium etc.
I'll be glad to help in this thread.. I was a biologist for a limited time.
here are some corrections.

1.more like 76% of the air is nitrogen
2.CH3-CH(NH2)-COOH is the formula for amino acids.. 3 carbon,7 hydrogen,2 oxygen, and only one nitrogen, so it is in there, but not the main part.. so "a" componet would be more appropriate than "THE" componet.
3. as someone else pointed out, neucleic acids are the building blocks of dna
(deoxyribonucleic acid)
4.polypeptides make up protiens.. DNA is genetic material and is only present in the neucleus of a cell.. the only activity it has is replication with the varios dna polimerase molecules.
5. I'm ok with this one.
the rest are ok also.

Here's some more information on nitrogen.

Plants have specialized structures (chloroplasts) that use photons of light (captured by chlorophyll) and carbon dioxide (and a few other elements)to make glucose (fuel). Chlorophyll contains 4 nitrogen moolecules sourrounding a magnesium molecule ( so a lot of N is needed for new chlorophyll), also many of the protiens that are needed to increase biomass also include nitrogen (and sulphur.. another biggie).

A lot of people think that nitrogen is the fuel for plants... not true. It is merely a building material that the plant needs to grow. The more nitrogen there is available the faster the plant is able to grow, becuase it has the materials there to do so.

This is where i have the big problem with all the " organic" hype...
The word organic only means that a molecule contains a carbon " backbone"
for example NH3 (ammonia) is not organic. Plants CANNOT use organic nitrogen. They can only use NH3 or NO2. It first needs to be stripped down to an inorganic form by nitrogen fixing bacteria. When we fertalize, we are giving the plants ( grass, etc) nitrogen in a form it can use, without the bacteria having to process it first. Rain does the same thing.. As the water passes through the atmosphere, it picks up nitrogen. That's why no irrigation system is as good as rain.

Notrogen pollution occurs when we apply more nitrogen than can be processed by the plants, etc in an area. If excessive N enters water supplies, it can cuase algae blooms, cuasing oxygen levels to drop in the water, killing fish. Also a lot of these algae produce unhealthy waste products and can cuase many problems with the aquatic life..

There are many problems associated with excessive nitrogen application ( especially liquid applications). As applicators we must identify the N uptake of our particulat turf, plant, etc.
every turf has a recommended pounds of nitrogen per thousand sqft per month application rate. We should not exceed this, as we are only cuasing problems in the future.

hope this helps.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 02-27-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

YardPro

Our air is actually more like 78% nitrogen and I made some other minor mistakes typing off the top of my head at the time. But at this point of my life I think a more basic working knowledge of the Chemicals as we use them on a day to day bases is more important. However there are a few who will enjoy and learn from this thread including myself. I welcome you to take this thread to the next level. I will post to it, but not take the lead any more. Please feel free to step in.

I am working on a book that is a lot less in depth but I feel is more usable by the average man. I think their is a great void in basic information of application and I hope to help fill it.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

rick.. i was not accacking you at all. hope you don't feel that way.
as for the % N in the air depending on what source you use for your info, you will get different numbers... oxygen is about 23%, but i have seen stats from 20% to 25%..

I agree that most people in our business need to know more about these things. It will help them make better choices as they journey through our profession. Knowing how something works empowers people to make better decisions about certian procedures, etc..
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 02-28-2006, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro
rick.. i was not accacking you at all. hope you don't feel that way.
as for the % N in the air depending on what source you use for your info, you will get different numbers... oxygen is about 23%, but i have seen stats from 20% to 25%..

I agree that most people in our business need to know more about these things. It will help them make better choices as they journey through our profession. Knowing how something works empowers people to make better decisions about certian procedures, etc..

YardPro

I didn't feel like you were attacking me in any way. Do a search under my name, Several years ago I lead a lot of thread that were very technical. I feel my technical background has helped me in many ways. But I feel a more basic user friendly approach is what people in this industry need. I also feel just hearing the technical terms and having a familiarity with them is a big advantage. In the pH thread now bumped to the top Mudstopper posted a glossary of many terms that I think was a great Idea. Please take the lead in this thread and take it to the level I first intended it to go to. I will try and support you, But I have other plans on my plate that I wish to peruse at this time.