Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2003, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The doubles difference

This area was thick and tall with some moisture, had alot of dog droppings in it. Can you do this with single blades? I can't...
I used gator over medium lift blades and they worked great. A quick cleanup pass and it looks like a carpet with no clippings visible!! can't wait for leaves!!!!!!
With double blades, the competition will never be ready! I saw a LCO yesterday mowing left stragglers and clumps on the lawn they were mowing using a Dixie Chopper. This company is pretty high quality most of the time so I was surprised to see that! I'd never leave it that way!!
The grass was higher than it might look here. I'm mowing at 3 1/4" high.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2003, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

after a second pass right before I hit the corner (it's still single cut so you can see alittle bit on top.)
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2003, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Eric
Take a Pic of the Clumped Lawn And Use It In a Ad Next Year!
John
Old 04-22-2003, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The finished product looks quite good. Look into what the age is for an applicator license so that you can branch out and take care of all of those weeds.

Gravely_Man
Old 04-22-2003, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good idea John! Thanks will use that.

Gravely_Man, yes I know.. I've had a few requests for that but I just have to subcontract it out at little to no cost... kinda annoying but I should definately look into it. Maybe I'll stick it out this year and get the license next winter when I'm not so busy.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You could do it with singles if you had an Exmark instead of a Scag!
Old 04-22-2003, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I doubt it, but even if I could, I don't have an eXmark haha... The Scag is a good machine and I like it. I do like the eXmark TTHP like you have though, but not necessarily more than a Scag SWZU Ultimate!!! Well I'm content with mine so that settles it lol.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2003, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

BHB - Just teasing...but it does do very well on tall grass with single high lifts.

I honestly can't believe you can spin doubles well on a 52 with a 14HP. I think my 48 is marginal for doubles with a 17 HP Kawi.

I'm running single gators now as I'm still in clean-up mode (nothing nearly as tall as what your pic shows yet), but will probably switch to single high lifts next week.

I've tried doubles but don't find much use for them except for new accounts that haven't been mowed in months. I had a number of those come in mid to late May last year and ran double high lifts for them.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That account hadn't been mowed yet that is why it was so high. It has enough power either discharging or with OCDC closed. Could use a couple hundred more RPM but it does OK for itself. It does good in high grass with single mediums but thats more like a bush-hogging job conditions. On a regular yard I prefer the doubles. Yeah I have to go alittle slower but still alittle faster than double cutting and you don't get bounced around as much as going faster, twice. I only double cut that one because it was the first cut for that customer (wanted to impress them) and it was extra high. Otherwise a weekly mowing is good to go at one pass! Alot of areas I have to double cut because I mow with the OCDC down all the time due to all the obstacles so I have to double cut to get rid of the grass line at the right side of the deck but it works fine. Those areas usually aren't so big that it takes much longer to double cut anyway, and the stripes look much better!!!
I ran a 2001 eXmark 48" 15hp Kohler TTHP with a Jungle Wheels sulky for a guy last fall, had a mulch kit on it. Worked great plenty of power, very torqy hydros, fast, good cut. I got close to buying his mower and customer list but it didn't work out, he sold it to someone else from under me! I'm contemplating getting or making a mulch kit for my Scag to use when the spring growth slows alittle because most of my areas are so small that you can't discharge much and with the OCDC closed it leaves that line of clippings. But then it might mulch good enough with the OCDC closed w/o leaving that line in summer growth anyway, so we'll just wait and see. I like being able to have a choice on the go!!!

Do you discharge, mulch or bag mostly with your TTHP?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Discharge spring and late fall (mostly so I can bag) and mulch with the kit the rest of the time. The micro mulch system does a real nice job because it separates the deck into 3 chambers...no line of clippings on the discharge side. The main reason I bag is for leaves. I will also bag pool areas with the 21 incher.