Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2003, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

LGF with that pic I don't know what those guys I saw on a chopper were doing wrong but it looked nasty... and it wasn't as thick as your lawn there.

Darryl I agree 100% but I was already late for something else I'd promised to be at, and although that part is a bi-weekly cut that I did a couple days ago I'm gonna mow that section again next time I'm there then bi-weekly after that. It's $25 for a 30,000 sf lot so who's gonna complain? Not this woman she works tons of hours at the Dolly Madison bakery outlet store. The reason it's so cheap is trimming is bi-weekly except front of small house and two trees in front yard and edging monthly and only a tiny amount. The back 15,000 sf shown there is bi-weekly. So although I took it easy on her I didn't feel obligated to make it perfect although I did want to make a second pass, like I said couldn't because I was late for something else. Beleive me I never leave a place looking like that if I can at all help it!!! In that instance you might've done the same I don't know but I had no choice really.
Talk to ya later...
Old 04-24-2003, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

BHB - Yes, I do have different standards for different properties. I did a cheapie clean-up today for a plowing customer. I was on a 4 hour budget ($200) and did the best I could in that amount of time. I actually spent 4.75 hours because I didn't like the way it looked after 4. I still left a ton of leaves in the pachysandra and didn't touch some areas at all.

I'd get ragged on considerably by members here if I posted pictures of it, but it's what we agreed on...do the best I could for $200, get the bulk of the leaves and mow the lawn and leave the rest for her. I just did the high visibility areas first and made sure it looked good from the road. She'll be delighted, as will her neighbors. It was REALLY bad, never got a fall clean-up, piles of leaves in the driveway (I got stuck trying to back in with my trailer and had to charge up the hill) wood down everywhere, and long matted, choked out grass.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Member

bhb, one day your are going to be cruising through a lawn , and hit something like a stump or a hole and hurt yourself when you are impaled by that water bottle you have mounted on your handle bars. Nice touch, but do you really stop mowing to have a leisurely sip of water? I'd watch out for the unexpected.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

darryl glad you understand her front lawn looked good when I left and it was almost as bad as that back lot I posted a pic of, but alittle thinner. Double cut and you'd never know it had been overgrown.

Doh!- no I don't really have to stop to take a leisurely sip of water! I pick bottle up with whichever hand is not occupied (on a straight stretch), put bottle to my lips, twist the cap and drink. Twist cap back other way to close and put back in cupholder. It has enough "slop" in the cupholder so that it would fold over if that much pressure was applied to it. I know where the obstacles are on my properties and I generally don't drive that fast anyway except on open areas where growth isn't terribly bad.